veneer over brick question

nortonlawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
my friend wants me to update his old looking fireplace in his house. is the prep for brick surface the same as when building with blocks?

the venner is cultured stone so it's a little lighter than stone veneer, and the brick is real if this helps any.

thanks

joes169

LawnSite Member
As long as the brick aren't soot-covered, you can adhere directly to the brick w/o a problem, unless the brick are extremely smooth, like a glazed brick for example.

OP
N

nortonlawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
The brink is in very good condition, the fireplace was built with the house in 1980 something, and it was rarely used, no soot, not glazed, no breaks or cracks.

with the lath would i have to worry about damage to the brick or the older mortar on the fireplace?

STL Ponds and Waterfalls

LawnSite Bronze Member
The brink is in very good condition, the fireplace was built with the house in 1980 something, and it was rarely used, no soot, not glazed, no breaks or cracks.

with the lath would i have to worry about damage to the brick or the older mortar on the fireplace?
The only damage so to say would be where you use nails or screws to secure it to the brick and the scratch coat over the lath.

Bru75

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't see the need for lath, either, unless the brick is really smooth. For masonry to masonry just butter and stick.