*vent* leak job

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
Well. Our policies are for sure changing because of this job

This is a Angies list customer.. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting an F rating even though I did everything in my part to try and fix the issue. The guy is just completely not understanding and blaming me.

I went out to do a leak job this morning at 730AM. I Found the leak acoustically at 10 . I dug it up and found it at 3.5'. A 60 year old Galvi Line.. When I discovered the line was galvi earlier in the morning I right away suggested the whole line should be replaced.

I typically do 25-35 Galvi repairs a year... This may be low to some... Others on here probably haven't even touched galvi. I would assume it's regional- Most of seattle is Galvi ( we generally work on the east side where there is no galvi). In any case I'm no stranger to the pipe.

So I found the leak.. I cut the pipe as I always do with a sawzall ( With a pipe wrench/ channel lock on the downstream side to help counteract the vibrations) .. I Patch the line with a union- nipple- coupler- A new leak occurs a foot away from my repair

I re-cut / Re-thread and use a new patch - cept with time with poly as the cut out section was to long- same steps. a 2' section now has 5 holes in it.

I re-cut/ Re-thread - Same steps- 2 new holes come from both sides of the repair.

I then used my a copper pipe cutter so there are no vibrations ( Damaged the blade too ) .. Same steps and 1 new hole comes!!!

At this point i've been here 14 hours - the hole is putting out 15 gpm... I'm worried the calcification inside the pipe has broken off and will now clog things inside the house- But I can't flush the line just yet with this open hole

So no water for the client tonight.. He is PISSED... I'm showing him everything.. All my steps... All the reasoning for the situations to occur. He's still blaming me stating that I'm just not doing it correctly..

So I'll be out there tomorrow replacing 75 % of the line (75') Hopefully.. If I have to do the last 25% it will take 3x longer then the first 75'... The customer is already penny pinching the whole entire thing...

I mean I'm at your house for 14 hours trying to help you out... Screw you man . Your going to blame me and say I don't know what I'm doing??. Your line is effing over twice my age.. What do you expect is going to happen.. Are you stupid!!>?!>?!>?">?

FML!!!!!

IMAG0214.jpg

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
many times i have said this but i'll say it again and prolly again. pressure test....

if you pressure tested the pipe both ways from the cutout you could have addressed the repair vs. replacement and had plenty of physical evidence to back you up.

owners are a pain, this guy is prolly a stand out in the pia line and he's gonna try to get the job for next to nothing (if not for free) and coming from angies list i assume that you'll pay for it in the end (one of my big rants are these lists)

don't let anyone beat you up mitch, you're doing your best, just remember to pressure test before sealing anything up.

best of luck tomorrow :)

OP
mitchgo

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
Hey Jim!

This was one of the few jobs I wasn't able to pressure test because on my last leak job ( yesterday) I left my pressure testing stuff at that job 60 miles away!!!

The water in the hole was just natural drainage- He was 300' from the puget sound .

I'm going to email yah

TXirrigation

LawnSite Senior Member
Well. Our policies are for sure changing because of this job

This is a Angies list customer.. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting an F rating even though I did everything in my part to try and fix the issue. The guy is just completely not understanding and blaming me.

I went out to do a leak job this morning at 730AM. I Found the leak acoustically at 10 . I dug it up and found it at 3.5'. A 60 year old Galvi Line.. When I discovered the line was galvi earlier in the morning I right away suggested the whole line should be replaced.

I typically do 25-35 Galvi repairs a year... This may be low to some... Others on here probably haven't even touched galvi. I would assume it's regional- Most of seattle is Galvi ( we generally work on the east side where there is no galvi). In any case I'm no stranger to the pipe.

So I found the leak.. I cut the pipe as I always do with a sawzall ( With a pipe wrench/ channel lock on the downstream side to help counteract the vibrations) .. I Patch the line with a union- nipple- coupler- A new leak occurs a foot away from my repair

I re-cut / Re-thread and use a new patch - cept with time with poly as the cut out section was to long- same steps. a 2' section now has 5 holes in it.

I re-cut/ Re-thread - Same steps- 2 new holes come from both sides of the repair.

I then used my a copper pipe cutter so there are no vibrations ( Damaged the blade too ) .. Same steps and 1 new hole comes!!!

At this point i've been here 14 hours - the hole is putting out 15 gpm... I'm worried the calcification inside the pipe has broken off and will now clog things inside the house- But I can't flush the line just yet with this open hole

So no water for the client tonight.. He is PISSED... I'm showing him everything.. All my steps... All the reasoning for the situations to occur. He's still blaming me stating that I'm just not doing it correctly..

So I'll be out there tomorrow replacing 75 % of the line (75') Hopefully.. If I have to do the last 25% it will take 3x longer then the first 75'... The customer is already penny pinching the whole entire thing...

I mean I'm at your house for 14 hours trying to help you out... Screw you man . Your going to blame me and say I don't know what I'm doing??. Your line is effing over twice my age.. What do you expect is going to happen.. Are you stupid!!>?!>?!>?">?

FML!!!!!
I have had people use these "lists" as black male. A few times they knew what they were doing was wrong and they said,"If you don't do it I will leave a bad review on suchnsuch list."

These lists need to have a feature where contractors can leave reviews on the customers after the customers leave reviews on the contractor. That way when you get a call, you can look them up and decide if you want to work for them.

I have had a few "A" ratings from customers I would have given an "F" to, and would have liked to warned the next guy in line.

DanaMac

LawnSite Fanatic
I feel that Angie's and the BBB are basically a scam. Not exactly sure about Angies, but at least the BBB you can dispute the claim. But I've never been contacted by BBB about joining nor had any negative claim to dispute.

TXirrigation

LawnSite Senior Member
I feel that Angie's and the BBB are basically a scam. Not exactly sure about Angies, but at least the BBB you can dispute the claim. But I've never been contacted by BBB about joining nor had any negative claim to dispute.
I have never had a negative review, but that is because I seriously pucker up on those jobs. You are setting yourself up on these sites because a job can go perfect and be perfect, but if the un-educated customer feels it's wrong they will rake you over the coals.

Also, a happy customer is much less likely to leave a review than an un-happy customer. There are just some people that no matter who did the job or how perfect they will be un happy.

Kiril

LawnSite Fanatic
I have never had a negative review, but that is because I seriously pucker up on those jobs. You are setting yourself up on these sites because a job can go perfect and be perfect, but if the un-educated customer feels it's wrong they will rake you over the coals.
And what of the educated customer who knows the job is wrong, but the contractor thinks it is perfect?

1idejim

LawnSite Fanatic
i agree, what would happen if we had a list with the clients name and address posted with a review like:

the back yard was full of dogshit when we showed up, three weeks notice and this is what we get...bring a pooper scooper, rubber boots, gloves and a mask. i guess being an undercover cop means you don't have to clean the yard up!

the job was scheduled for the first week of summer, you weren't supposed to be home untill labor day weekend. what do you mean we can't start before 9 because you like to sleep late. no i can't have the job done by the 4th of july and labor day is in september not july.

their checks are late, their house is filthy, cars are frequently locked and in the way so we had to pack all of our stuff from the street.

best customer we had all year, the college age daughter likes to walk around the house nude. will do business with again ....soon i hope :)