1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Vertical vs Horizontal mounted engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by joeg2246, Apr 13, 2006.

1. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I am purchasing a new Exmark 50" Triton deck with the 27HP Kohler. What, if any are the differences / advantages to choosing between a vertical or horizontal mounted engines? Thanks for any comments!!!

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

3. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Wow! First time that I read that thread. Lots of conjecture.

Anyone for reviving the thread in question?

4. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

Well I'll bite on this one. I think horz engines last longer because of the piston direction. you'll find that the new OHV horz are in a slant position because studies have found that there is less piston wear in a piston traveling in a slant or horz postion. Think about it? havnt you seen those 5-11hp horz engines just keep running and running. now do the math a vert engine has the effect of gravity always pulling the piston assy towards the cylinders bottom and putting more pressure on the cylinder bore than a horz engine does. I gotta go take a nap now!

Mike AKA Partsangel

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't read that entire thread, but it seems to me the mule drives would rob power. I had a SuperZ with the gearbox and it was a disaster. My new one (26 hp liquid-cooled Kawasaki) is a vertical mount and it has been flawless.:)

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

IMO, Horizontal means more moving parts in a drive system and more parts to wear out and tear up.

7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Comparison between horizontal[walker] and vertical[greatdane] horizontal-all the ground debris either sticks toair inlet screen or goes through to clog cyl.fins. Choclate bar wrappers tissues etc- block screen & cause overheating. Temperture guage fitted. I have many s/hand engines 600-1300hrs all overheated vertical -after speaking to operater [he does all the general maintenance] Machine mows more grass than i do mostly.Screen does not block with either dry or damp/wet grass or papers . 2500hrs ok