Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to give estimate in about an hour for verticutting a guys lawn, but he wants to seed himself. Anyone have a request for this service??? I tried to explain to the man on the phone how my verticutter works. Blades cut through to the soil, disk rides in the slits and then seed drops directly into the slits making contact directly with the soil. I even told the man that I would load my hopper with his seed.

I was just wondering if many of you have a request like this and how you handle it. I will have to adjust my price structure a little since I am not paying for the seed and fertilizer.

MATT

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I did alright. Estimated time is 1.5 hours and told him $140. One thing I hate is when you give a customer an estimate and before you can blink they stick out they're hand wanting a handshake saying "ok, ok....it's a deal". Then I am left standing there with the thoughts of "why the hell didn't I tell him $40 more?" I am not upset, I am making what I need to.

Bluemoon, I am using a Jacobsen AerKing 1321. Very similar to the Ryan Mataway, but slightly better (larger engine, tighter disc spacing and brake steering). Costly, but a very professional machine.

MATT

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
It can also be used to vertislice Zoysia, Bermuda, St. Augustine, bent grass and most other grasses that need the stolons/rhizomes cut occasionally.
And this promotes new growth?

Lawncare3, the kees just isn't nearly effecient. I will still use it for tight spots.

MATT

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Blue

·
930 Posts
Originally posted by walker-talker
And this promotes new growth?

MATT
Yes, the reason why I am getting it to verticut my tees. When it slices the rhizomes and stolons, the cut off ends can eventually turn into new plants. I am doing this on my tee's from all the turf that gets divoted from golfers everyday....I should have done it a couple of times already....

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Since you have the equipment and the customer just charge accordingly to cover your expense. I too am often left wondering if I quoted correctly when the customer just wants to jump on the price. I am more accustomed to the reply of “We only have X to spend this month. Can you do it for that price.”

Gravely_Man

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you were to measure from disc to disc, it is around 20". Not sure on how much area you can cover in an hour, but I would say you move about 3/4 the speed of what you would mow with a 21" mower. This model has been discontinued. A similar model is the Ryan Mataway. Textron owns both Jacobsen and Ryan and simply decided to drop this model from their line.

MATT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.