1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Very large shrub trimming job

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Lmacke, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member

20k, you guys are hilarious. I agree - be VERY careful here.

It is difficult for anybody to answer this w/o seeing it. Bring us some pics. To clear 1 solid acre of brush, BS and overgrowth of all kinds is about $5,000 out here. So I cannot imagine this is 20K. However, 20K divided by 5 years is 4K a year... so maybe.

My prediction is that somebody is going to f-up and bid this thing way too low and get the job.

If you really don't know be straight with the guy. Get him to give you $1000 and show him how much you can do for a grand and estimate the rest of the job from there. Also, get him to pay you in pieces so you don't spend a week of your life doing this and then get stiffed.

JLSLLC likes this.
  2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I don’t think you read the op right....

hort101 likes this.
  3. brycez28

brycez28 LawnSite Senior Member

$20k is a lot of money, but very reasonable for the scope of the job. That averages to about $33 per bush/tree.

Grassholes and hort101 like this.
  4. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you get the job, that is serious coin

But on the flip side, they might bawk are your price, and hire a grounds man to take a month or two to hack them all down.

I just can't see a property manager says yes to trim bushes for $20k

I hope you get it, prove me wrong!

Just some insight

hort101 likes this.
  5. Grassholes

lol, yea. So I guess I charge $.000000000000000001 per blade of grass

6. Grassholes

I agree. I can't help being a smart ass. It just seems like at some point there is a tipping point to where normal bidding no longer applies to a situation. This is just an odd situation.

7. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

That makes sense, for that much trimming you could discount 10-15% of your regular rate because you'd be on the same job for however long. Not worth doing for cheap just because it's a lot of money. Whatever the calculated time comes to you have to get paid for it whether it's $200 or $50,000.

Grassholes likes this.
  8. marcusmac99

marcusmac99 LawnSite Senior Member

Will any trimming require a ladder or lift?
    I know when we did tree work we needed to remove any tree material touching any building, on the outside walls, or roofs. It is a requirement of the city health dept in the two cities where we had customers with apartments/condo's.

Will they require any additional insurance? Will you be trimming so much you may need a grapple? Five years of no trimming or maintenance could, as others have mentioned, result in more debris than you first thought. Want to use a chipper, or would you consider using large dumpsters for the debris? When I did a job like this (smaller scale of course), the chipper was a bottle neck, slowing the whole process down. Using large dumpsters with low profiles may help since many ppl can put stuff in the dumpster at the same time.

Lots to think about on this one, for sure. I would error on the high side and get progress payments. The customer should, but probably won't admit that avoiding needed maintenance for 5 yrs did nothing to reduce the accumulating cost of that maintenance.

9. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Gold Member

So did you get the job? And what did you come up with a price?

JLSLLC likes this.
  10. brycez28

brycez28 LawnSite Senior Member

A discount sounds good until you are there for a week straight doing a fairly labor intensive task.