1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

vicious frog in mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 12, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

man, you shoulda seen him, he was huge, and had teeth like an aligator. i was pitchforking some cedar mulch out of the back of the truck, when i saw some wiggling. i looked, and what the heck, a frog. i couldnt tell what color it was, cus it was dirty from the mulch, but, when i went to pick it up, it snapped at me, and hissed! sounded like a cat! it made me jump back a couple feet. so i scouped him with the shovel and tossed him in the woods. anyone know what kind of frog it could have been? hope i never see one again.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Maybe it was a cat!!:D :D

3. dobehap

dobehap LawnSite Senior Member

Cats dont let you scoop them.

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

They would if it was a pitchfork!!!:) :)

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds a bit like my mother in law. Well, with the snapping and hissing that is.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Bobby, based on your location, there's a few choices when it comes to big amphibians.

Bullfrog - More pointed snout, and humped back. But thier call doesn't sound like what you described.

American Toad - More rounded snout, fat and roundish body, a lot of warts. Again, their call doesn't sound like what you described.

And then there's the:

Fowlers Toad - Very similar to an American Toad. And according to a book I have in front of me, it's call is said to be like a "waaaaaaah!". Or "an explosive wheeze". I suppose this could sound somewhat like a cat as you described.
    So, this would be my best guess.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You weren't by chance working near a chemical or nuclear waste site were ya bobby?

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, you never know in Jersey.:D

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Now Bobby, a frog with teeth?????????

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Kermit!