1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the March 26 article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Video: Ferris Hydro pulley play?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by shane772, Mar 23, 2020 at 12:13 PM.

1. shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

Can anyone verify if this is normal play? I assume it's not but have no way of knowing. Mowed on Saturday and there's a rattle coming from under there somewhere. I took belts off and all pulleys sound and turn smooth. Springs are adjusted properly. Any help is appreciated!

2. OP
    OP
    shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

So, question still stands but I don't think it's the rattle. Only happens with blades on.

3. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

It's a bit much, they generally don't use the greatest bearings. Pull it off and check the bearing. Take yer old one with ya and compare before ya plop down any money.
    Did ya look closely at the belts ? Lube the idler arm pivots ?

shane772 and Breezmeister like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

It was the pulley. Must've put enough strain on it with blades engaged to make it rattle. New pulley has zero play.

hort101 and Breezmeister like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

Well crap! Noise started again after a few minutes of mowing. That pulley still needed replaced.

6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Did ya lube the idler pivot points??

7. OP
    OP
    shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

Actually, I didn't. I will do that today. I had my blinders on and just checked all the pulleys. Thanks

8. OP
    OP
    shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

No change BigFish. On a side note, I did mow all day with no catastrophic effects, Lol

9. hal

hal LawnSite Gold Member
    from Georgia

Check your other pulleys, make sure nothing is wedged in the groove.

10. OP
    OP
    shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

I removed all belts and visually/physically check all pulleys and belts. No issue found other than the 1 drive pulley that was replaced.