Vintage Equipment?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by KyBluGrass, May 17, 2017.

1. KyBluGrass

KyBluGrass LawnSite Member

As the title States, what are our collective opinions about the use of vintage equipment in our businesses? I do not mean old as dirt and ragged to death loud ugly etc. I mean well rebuilt or maintained equipment.
    I prefer the vintage saws and trimmers as well the real Lawn Boy mowers o modern two strokes. The same way I prefer the eabikity to adjust the RPM of my mower(push type).

TrainingWheels and hort101 like this.
  2. Southern Mulching of VA

Southern Mulching of VA LawnSite Member

When my other company was doing the steel at the presidential inauguration stands last time around, the crane rental company we used sent out a fully restored 1965 Brockway truck with and old clutch/drum style crane mounted on it. It was the coolest thing. The operator looked like he was about 90 years old but he ran that thing as smooth as a hydro. It was in a picture on the front page of the Washington post a few days later.

3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Older stuff is cool I also like the manual choke and throttleThumbs UpThumbs Up

TrainingWheels likes this.
  4. wheatus

wheatus LawnSite Senior Member

I think it is a terrible idea. Are you doing this as a business or hobby?

5. KUMA01

KUMA01 LawnSite Senior Member

Not that old but a couple fs85's if that counts

Wye Oak Tree likes this.
  6. KyBluGrass

KyBluGrass LawnSite Member

Wow. I knew there would be mixed emotions about this topic, but honestly did not expect rudeness.
    I fail to see the problem with using a piece of equiment that looks and works as well as ( or better in some cases ) a newer disposable unit. I take pride in my business, as well as my equipment. It is funny that you used the word hobby, as restou vintage equipment is a hobby of mine.
    Show me a new chain saw that will pull a 24 inch chain through seasoned oak like a ported Stihl XL-12. I can promise thta if yo are able to show such a saw, it will not be one of the new ones that the disposable tool manufacturers produce today.
    My Lawn Boy mowers are quieter than, stronger than and lighter than any newly made/sold pusher on the emarket today.
    Now, mind you that my vintfe equipment presents as new. Unless you go snooping around under covers, or start comparing paint colors( some are quite difficult to match ) you would be hard pressed to prove its not new. My trimmers, saws, blowers an dedgers all fire on the second or third pull. In fact I start each an devery piece of my equipment, every morning before he truck I sloaded, an dallow it.I warm to operating temps to be sure everything is in tip top shape. My newer trimmer is a Stihl FS-61-e. And that's about as new as I will use. I do own an Echo trimmer, but that's ONLY used at home by my son when he is doing the trimming a a choe for allowance. Since I have owned that...thing it's already died three times. Once the brick of a sealed carb fouled out then a ring broke, and last time the kill switch died and kept the coil grounded. The last time wasn't major, just inconvieniant. And potentially embarrassing.
    If the above quoted statement was not intended to be rude, then I apologize, but that's how it came across.

7. wheatus

wheatus LawnSite Senior Member

Not rude just pragmatic. Those that use this stuff day in and out will pick up new equipment over old equipment, no matter how well maintained, every day. Safer, lighter, with performance on par with any leaded gas relic you can find. You can wax nostalgic about how much better stuff was back in the "good old days" but you are wrong. Give me a modern trimmer I can start out of the box and run for 300 hours with no fuss and then pitch for a new one.

8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

I am vintage equipment , over 1/2 century old and still in fine operating condition

hort101, KyBluGrass and Wye Oak Tree like this.
  9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ive got a Vintage Body.

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

I still run equipment from the early 1980 's , Burkeen vibratory plow . Still a front line piece . Buddy of mine runs a john Deere 750 tractor ( 1979 or 1980 ) a Mustang Skid Steer thats a 1985 , a larger Mustang 960 Skid thats a late 80's or early 90's . All are still used weekly and look good and run excellent . And PAID for many times over .