Vision 2 + & A Vermeer Brush Chipper =

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by NC_Irrigator, Dec 13, 2006.

  1. NC_Irrigator

    NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC
    Messages: 1,455



    Homeowners love them, so simple to run. No telling how many ive hung on the wall and took down. I was in love with them at one time, theyve really let me down. I used to just throw them away, now ive started hording them at my shop.

    Dials not responding, slide pointers not responding.

    and the most hard to explain to a customer: "Your controller is in sleep mode"
    The Photo light sensor beside the lcd wont let the controller turn back on, (sleep mode) screwing up. Shine a light on it, it'll wake up right? Tryed it. So, Not likely.

    Am i right?

    I was 100% Toro for almost 10yrs. Made the switch to rainbird clocks, valves and mist sprays.
    I havent installed a toro clock in 3yrs.
  2. RHayden

    RHayden LawnSite Member
    Messages: 123

    Funny, we never had any problems with the Vision 1's but the 2's have been nothing but trouble from day one. As you say, dials and slides quit responding- particular trouble with the % slide. We have some Vision 1's that have operated trouble free for almost 10 years; but the 2's............

    Went to Rainbird controllers almost exclusively as well about the same time as you and also have a nice little collection of Vision 2's we have swapped out.
  3. irritation

    irritation LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,604

    I switched about 10 yrs ago. Reasons?
    EL series controllers
    And other Toro junk that I had to go back and replace on unhappy customer's systems. :hammerhead:
  4. NC_Irrigator

    NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC
    Messages: 1,455

    ahh yes, EL6+1 controller.

    "The red light for manual operation is on, why isnt the system coming on??"
  5. Dirty Water

    Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,794

    I hate Toro controllers.

    We switched from the Irritrol Raindial to the Rainbird ESP about 4 years ago and have never looked back.

    I just did a job where I replaced about 70 sprayheads on a crappy system. 90% of them were the old Hardie/Richdells and still working pretty good (I changed the zones to rotors, so out they went). The other 10% were Toro's and they had totally crapped out.
  6. irritation

    irritation LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,604

    Remember the solid state controllers that came out in the mid 80's.:laugh:
    I think they were called the IC series. Took about a 1/2 hr to program and the slightest power surge would clear everything. It was nearly impossible for a homeowner to program.:dizzy:
  7. jerryrwm

    jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,274

    Yeppers. And the run times were 1, 3, 5, 7, 12, 15, 20, 30 mins if I remember. And if that damn thing was in the sunlight you couldn't read the red LEDs. They were wonderful.

    Anyone remember the Freetime 4? Now there was a controller. Still see them every now and again. Sometimes have to replace the motor.
  8. NC_Irrigator

    NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC
    Messages: 1,455

    Moist O Matic.
  9. Wet_Boots

    Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 50,875

    Freetime Fours were rock solid reliable. The only thing that could screw up was the spring-loaded mechanism that started a cycle, if the homeowner set all the zone times to zero, and then turned the manual start button. That would unwind the starting spring completely, and it would take about a day for the clock motor to rewind it. They printed up a tag to inform everyone not to do that.
  10. Midlo Snow Maker

    Midlo Snow Maker LawnSite Member
    Messages: 183

    vis 2 were the easiest and best controller until they modified them, 99% of the problem is the seasonal adjust button

Share This Page