Volt lighting systems

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Smith Lawn & Landscaping, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Smith Lawn & Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone used the Volt lighting systems before at a clients house? The dealer we used to deal with before has closed up shop and we have to find another source. I've heard nothing but good things about them just curious how they have stood up in real world experience. Thanks

2. Alan B

Alan B Sponsor
    Male, from tampa, fl

If you are a contractor try AMP Lighting (www.amplighting.com) you will be contractor protected and have free shipping in addition to access to additional pro grade products not available on VOLT.

All our reviews are real, unmoderated-- we cannot review, edit or even comment on them-- they come straight from Google (unlike many other reviews where people use third party review sites where they can moderate them). Lifetime warranty, same day shipping, always in stock on all items.

You will have to get verified as a contractor as we thoroughly vet all contractors for their protection.

3. OP
    OP
    Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Thank you I will check them out. In the past we have used Kichler but looking for different options now.

4. Alan B

Alan B Sponsor
    Male, from tampa, fl

Compared to Kichler, I believe you find AMP products to be higher quality (solid brass, lifetime warranty), better service (7 days a week), faster shipping (same day), and about half the price compared to the majority of their products.

5. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

Volt is an amazing company and some of their innovations make life a lot easier. But, based on my experience, I would never install their products for a client. I installed some Volt LED path lights at my house. I think 10 or 12. Each year I am replacing 2-3 bulbs even after the first year they were installed. In fact another one is currently out. Lifetime warranty is great but they would only send me two bulbs when I needed three. In order to get three I believe I had to pack up the bad ones, send them to them and they would let me know. Meaning a bunch of my lights would be out for at least another week. I offered to buy additional bulbs but then they wanted to charge me shipping when they could have just thrown them in with the 2 free replacement ones. In order to not hassle with having to constantly reorder as they go out I just went ahead and ordered some from Amazon. The rest of my system is Kichler and Vista. I've had no issues with them. I'm at about 50 lights total. I can't imagine the hassle if they were all Volt.

If these were installed at a clients property, I'd be going back, finding bulbs that don't work, order the free replacements, wait for them to arrive and then go back and install. No thanks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    Smith Lawn & Landscaping

Greatly appreciate the feedback, we decided to give AMP a try after using Kichler for years. Have you looked at the integrated spot light systems ?

7. Alan B

Alan B Sponsor
    Male, from tampa, fl

Rodney,

Thank you for the feedback.. That is concerning and something we would like to resolve, thank you for bringing it to our attn. I am unaware of what is going on at your house install. I just emailed my General Manager, our Director of Innovation, the Director of Manufacturing, and the Director of Customer Service to all look into it. Hopefully they can figure out your acct based off your lawnsite info, but feel free to message me your contact or email me at alanb@voltlighting.com info to make sure we get it right.

hort101 likes this.
  8. RodneyK

Thank you Alan, I will email you shortly. I would love for this to be some sort of isolated incident.

SLL, I have not looked into the AMP integrated spot light systems. I did help a buddy install a few Volt or AMP path lights last week. The fixture construction is impressive.

9. Alan B

Alan B Sponsor
    Male, from tampa, fl

This was an isolated incident for only our 4 watt bi pin bulbs (35 W equivalent lamps) that were made prior to 2018-- not any other bi pins, and this issue has since been resolved. The 35w equivalent bi pin lamp gave off a lot of lumens for a bi pin and apparently could exceed the thermal fold back point (overheating) for that design.

In early 2018 once this was discovered we upgraded the design of the 4 W (35 watt equivalent) bi pin with improved heat dissipation and upgraded the thermal fold back point. This was done to prevent any overheat issues with the 35W version and eliminated the issue.

We had a customer in June of 2018 (after we had made the change) complain about this issue with some of his bi pins failing. We had him send us both the failed bulbs and his non-failed bulb and we sent them in for testing. After testing and analysis, the bulbs that had a manufacturing date before January 2018 all had the issue. The bulbs with a date after January 2018 all passed the high temperature testing and had no issues.

To confirm these results we did internal testing and hired an independent lab do high temperature testing on the previous generation of bulbs and the current production. The results were the same. The previous generation had the issue, the new did not.

We continued to test the new generation. We had 2 labs do testing. The independent lab did over 1,500 hours of continuous temperature/aging testing on the new generation of bulbs with the improved IC and there have been no issues. After 2 months of continuous testing we can confidently say the issue has been resolved for 2 years, any problems after that were from old inventory or older installs. The issue was only with 35w equivalent LED bi pins made prior to 2018. All inventory of this batch of 35w eq LED bi pins has been discarded or had been sold out.

We apologize for the inconveniences as this should have been found in our development testing. We have had this type of issues happen twice in our history-- one was with one model/one version of our 50 w equivalent MR16's a few years ago which was more wide spread, and one time with our 35w equivalent bi-pin (prior to 2018).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  10. RodneyK

Thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear the issue has been resolved. I had some of my timing off in my first post. Looks like I ordered the lights on 11/16/16 and installed shortly after that. My first batch of replacements were ordered on 8/24/18. So far I have received 6 replacements out of 12 lights. I remember asking if this was an issue on my first reorder. I was shocked that they were burnt out. I was told that they just go out sometimes. Obviously, in a perfect world I would have been notified of the issue and sent 12 replacements. We don't live in a perfect world though.

Thanks again.

hort101 likes this.