Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that read my thread on "Question for those who do snow removal" I gave my bid to The condo vice president. Quick rundown of the job was 26 driveways to be cleared before 6:30 a.m., return later in the day to clear ends of drives after city plows came through, clear area to meet postal requirements. No plow trucks to be used so grass on driveway edges are not damaged, 450' of sidewalk. My bid came to $656.00 intial removal, another $300.00 to comeback after city plows. This worked out to be under $40.00 per resident. Sounded fair to me, a little low but I thought if I really busted hump It would be about right. VP called later to say and I quote "I looked over you proposal and your snow removal rates are way out of wack, this is ridiculous, were you trying to insult my Intelligence or is this a joke?" Then asked me to rewrite the bid with reasonable rates and resubmit. I politely told him my rates were non-negotiable. This guy hasnt really given me any respect since I have met him he's an irrogant As*hole actually. He then told me if I wasnt flexible the bid was going straight in the trash, I said so be it I cant do it for cheaper, that was the end he hung up. No big loss kind of a relief actually. Also this guy is new he just got the VP job, and I was the first bid he received, think hes in for a reality check. I dont do a lot of snow bidding but was I really that far off? Figured about 9 man hours then another 4 if I had to return later. And remeber no plow blades, all but hand or snowblower.

·
Registered
952 Posts
umm i thought this was LLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! i must be color blind or something. :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My town is growing so quick that home builders cant even keep up. There are better jobs out there for me. We have one home builder in the area that puts up a house a day, unbelievable. Best part is my stepdad to be is a developer for this company told me when I get into the landscaping end of the buisness he will plenty of work for me. Thanks mike I know its lawnsite but when I posted a different question at plowsite I didnt get a respone thought it might be to early for people to be thinking snow.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
If I was reading that right, you planed to do all that with a shovel and snow blower?

Now I'm starting to chuckle. Do a search on Poly-U edges at plow site. Then submit a new bid using a plow truck. Include in the bid that you are responsible for sod damage.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Tell him the bid stands and then include the plow w/ a Poly-U edge along with being responsible for sod damage. If he's going to be a PITA then charge him for it. It's always easier dealing with people like him if you're getting paid to listen to his crap. Trust me, you'll hear it as soon as the first snowflake falls.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I did a search on plow site and found a lot of people use poly u-edges but I still dont know what they are, there wasnt really any posts explaining them. I havent heard of them before, also It wasnt going to be just me and a shovel, I have a few friends laid off in the winter that want to help out. So there would be three of us on 3 snowblowers.

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
Originally posted by PetalsandPines
SHOULD HAVE USED MEG-MO BLADES FOR THIS !!!!

sorry, i couldn't resist.....you regulars know what I am talking about:D :D :D
LOL

but you seriously did good in sticking to your bid. You just have to think that you provide a service to people that they need and want so why do it any cheaper.

·
Registered
726 Posts
That guy sounds like a Real A-HOLE and if he talked to me the way he has talked to you he would be talking to thin air. I dont tolerate rudness from clients whats so ever there is just NO reason for it. As for your bid, like most have said before I would stick to it and not lower it just to make some dork happy who probley doesnt know what hes talking about in the first place.

·
Banned
1,143 Posts
Originally posted by promower
Ok. I did a search on plow site and found a lot of people use poly u-edges but I still dont know what they are, there wasnt really any posts explaining them. I havent heard of them before, also It wasnt going to be just me and a shovel, I have a few friends laid off in the winter that want to help out. So there would be three of us on 3 snowblowers.
It's an edge that gives with the contour of the ground. It supposedly lasts longer than steel and the regular poly edges. Do you let people tell you what mower to use, or take on 4-5 acre lots with a 36" mower?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Based on the info provided, I figured 9.6 man hours total (includes the time to come back; 10 minutes per drive + 60 minutes for the side walk, twice; initially and return trip). But I could be missing something major. However your price is reasonable for 13 hours of work, especially considering the requirements.

Were you planning on having help? If you were working alone that would be some hard hours with everything having to be done by 6:30am. Not to mention in the 4 hours that it would take to get it done by 6:30 the driveways could fill in again, or the city plow could come by. With help and running 2-3 blowers, it wouldn't be bad though. What kind of blower do you have?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you thought of using your mower with a blade?

Last year I used a 48 ferris with a 5 foot blade.

One pass down the sidewalks.

I was actually faster than Snow Blowers, ATV, and even the Plow trucks. The best part is no damages.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.