Vride 2 vs Stander x 52" questions

HighlandLC

LawnSite Member
Have a new dealership in my area, and looking at getting back into a Scag or Wright stand on. Currently run Ferris Z2 52" with Briggs 28efi.

1. How will the Velocity plus compare to a Aero core deck in Northeast ( connecticut) grass conditions, especially damp am.

2. Ride quality. Scag now has switched to elastomer springs, like Wright. Has anybody tried the 2021 Scag model And or right , in chatter dry bumpy lawns??? My ferris z2 is ok, but only standing and bouncing on others, both seem WAY SMOOTHER than the ferris with shock absorber.

OP
HighlandLC

HighlandLC

LawnSite Member
Surprised with no replies. I'm going to be setting up a demo of a zk and a vride through my dealer.

OP
HighlandLC

HighlandLC

LawnSite Member
Based on what I've read, velocity deck out performs aero deck in tall wet conditions.

Thanks. I had a velocity deck on a wildcat years ago before going stander, and it did a decent job in some thought weather, but have zero experiance with the Aero core.

handsome_scythe99

LawnSite Member
The scag deck will outperform just about any deck when it comes to tall and wet conditions due to the clipping distribution and open design which makes deck clogging virtually non existent.
However when your mowing in tame grass conditions with thick, green grass the difference between the aerocore decks and scag decks isn’t really noticeable. Wright decks have good suction and stripe well, so they are a reliable choice for your lush, rich guy lawns. Scag stripes awesome as well, but because clipping processing is so fast in the deck the blades don’t have as much time to chop up the grass as fine as a wright or exmark deck can. It’s not a huge deal but the clippings are a bit more noticeable and stay on the lawn longer. When it comes to the machine’s themselves they are both very well built, and will give you thousands of hours of use if you follow maintenance guidelines.
They are both solid choices, so the only thing you should really think about is whether you like orange or yellow better

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
The scag deck will outperform just about any deck when it comes to tall and wet conditions due to the clipping distribution and open design which makes deck clogging virtually non existent.
However when your mowing in tame grass conditions with thick, green grass the difference between the aerocore decks and scag decks isn’t really noticeable. Wright decks have good suction and stripe well, so they are a reliable choice for your lush, rich guy lawns. Scag stripes awesome as well, but because clipping processing is so fast in the deck the blades don’t have as much time to chop up the grass as fine as a wright or exmark deck can. It’s not a huge deal but the clippings are a bit more noticeable and stay on the lawn longer. When it comes to the machine’s themselves they are both very well built, and will give you thousands of hours of use if you follow maintenance guidelines.
They are both solid choices, so the only thing you should really think about is whether you like orange or yellow better
Running gator blades instead of regular high lifts help correct that quite noticeably.

handsome_scythe99

LawnSite Member
Running gator blades instead of regular high lifts help correct that quite noticeably.
Gator blades solve the problem and are great blades for the fall but because of the lower lift you won’t get as good stripes and if you like to mow fast you will notice more stragglers. They tear through leaves and thick grass with no problem, which is my I use them. Gator blades for fall, since most lawns won’t look super great in the fall no one really cares about bright stripes anyway and the gator blades effectively fertilize the grass. high lifts for spring and summer for those bright stripes. The longer grass clippings aren’t a big deal for scag users in the north like me since the grasses are “soft” and decompose quickly but for those in wire grass country the long, thick wires will stick for a while and tend to be an eyesore.

Top Forums