Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it realistic and practical to assume that I can operate my startup business utilizing a 32" or 48" w/b from the bed of my pickup (f350 w/ 8' bed). I realize that I have to ramp at every stop, so how much of an inconvenience is this (and is it safe for that matter)? I am just looking for ways to eliminate dragging the trailer out in order to make tight neighborhoods more accesible.

Kind of relates to bobbygebb thread regarding big vs. small residential accounts. Windshield time makes a diff.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
175 Posts
i guess if you do not mind ramping your mower every time. maybe look into a used trailer. i just bought a new enclosed for 2000, check ebay or your local paper, you might find something. if not have fun with the ramp.:D

·
Registered
142 Posts
I used to cut out of a pickup with an 8 foot bed.

You can fit two 48" machines one after the other. You can't use the gate but if you put machine in gear and unlock brakes the machine won't roll out (We used belt drive machines). We also used a bungy for safety. We would put backpack blower in front of bed. We stuck trimmer motor inside a rubbermaid garbage can and let that rest in front of bed as well so trimmer wouldn't roll around. We had to rakes and other tools too. You can slide ramps up the side along wheel wells. This setup works quite well if you are on a tight budget. Taking machine down using ramps is really not a big deal at all.

If you use a 32" or 36" then you have to put one machine sideways and the 48" would go straight in or last. A 32" or 36" machine is much longer so they will not fit one after the other.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by greenback
i guess if you do not mind ramping your mower every time. maybe look into a used trailer. i just bought a new enclosed for 2000, check ebay or your local paper, you might find something. if not have fun with the ramp.:D
I have an 18' foot trailer with side and rear ramps. It has 4' mesh all the way around along with a mesh tool box on the front. My thought or question is, in order to save the headache of pulling the trailer in some neighborhoods is ramping a w/b such a pita that you would not even consider it. By the way, thanks for replying.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by pines
I have an 18' foot trailer with side and rear ramps. It has 4' mesh all the way around along with a mesh tool box on the front. My thought or question is, in order to save the headache of pulling the trailer in some neighborhoods is ramping a w/b such a pita that you would not even consider it. By the way, thanks for replying.
did not know you have a trailer, but i did answer your inquiry.

i guess if you do not mind ramping your mower every time.

By the way, thanks for replying. [/B][/QUOTE]
no problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
did not know you have a trailer, but i did answer your inquiry.

i guess if you do not mind ramping your mower every time.

By the way, thanks for replying.
no problem. [/B][/QUOTE]

OK Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
I never felt ramping with a w/b to be a big pita. I think towing a trailer can be more cumbersome. Especially in tight neighborhoods. It can be a huge hassle in parking and backing up. Especially when you can't find a spot big enough to park truck and trailer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by RobH
I never felt ramping with a w/b to be a big pita. I think towing a trailer can be more cumbersome. Especially in tight neighborhoods. It can be a huge hassle in parking and backing up. Especially when you can't find a spot big enough to park truck and trailer.
Ok This is exactly what I am trying to weigh out. Days with the small lawns/ tight routes just take the pickup vs. large lawns wider routes take the trailer. Does anyone else approach it this way or are there things that I have yet to consider?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I dont know why some of you guys think rolling up the W/B up ramps would be such or hassle or would take longer. I used to have a F-150 and Now a ranger, and I roll my 36" scag right up the ramps, works perfect. takes 3 seconds to roll down the ramps and then when Im done mowing I just run it right back up in 2 seconds. never had a problem with it. yea, maybe the truck can't fit a whole lot of stuff, but it can easily fit all the basics.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
how many guys? if there are two of you, you can easily lift a 48" on and off, screw the ramps. unless, of course, one of you is randy scott. if you are alone, use the ramps. actually, two pieces of wood will work fine. but, BE CAREFUL, hate to see the mower fall on you.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Pine, I've been using ramps for 6 years now, I never had a trailer. There's just no room to park it here, forget about some of the tight streets around here and dead ends. This year though, I bought the ramp adapters for the 2 * 8's, alot safer. I'm gonna be loading equipment into the back of a dump also the same way. I just hang the other equipment on the sides(blowers, weed whackers, etc.) and I never had an extended cab, so the cab alone gives you more room.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I love working out of my truck, it feels like driving a sports car compared to pulling a trailer.

Here's a pic of my setup with the ramp down, an electric winch folds or unfolds the ramp in about 30 seconds.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Naturescape. That is so cool! what kind of mower do you use?
The only problem i see is that you are limited to a 48'' mower, and that there is no room to hual extra stuff.like clipings or branches from a prune job.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Originally posted by Turfcutters Plus
could'nt see using wood ramps.Get a gate from usa ramps.I have one.LOVE it on certain days,high traffic times,or fighting rain.$550 at your door,easy to install.
The metal ramp gates are prabably better, but if money is a concern at all, my total investment with the ramp adapters (pic above) with new lumber for the ramps, was about $32. :D

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Naturescape. That is so cool! what kind of mower do you use?

Thanks Eric. I am using a 48" ExM TT ECS. The few times I have to haul debris away, I think it is worth making a second trip. I can't tell you the number of times I have made it through a traffic light, not having to stop because I was hauling so much more length.

The ramp is custom made with an electric winch. The following is on the truck:

48" ExMark TT
Walk behind blower
Handheld blower
Gridiron rack
Tankaka edger
Trimmer
Trimmer with Edgit attachment
2 gas cans
Tool box for all necessary tools, etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.