Walk behind guys GITT

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Danny Richardson, May 22, 2020.

1. Danny Richardson

Danny Richardson LawnSite Member

This will be my fourth yr. mowing with a 52" Ferris FW 35. I love how the mower operates and it mows a beautiful yard. The one thing I dislike is, it is terrible in wet grass.. TERRIBLE. I know someone is going to say you have to clean them out underneath. I don't have a place to clean it out after every yard. This yr has been frustrating as we have had a lot of rain. Today it was after every yard, or every other it had to be cleaned out. I'm thinking about buying another used walk behind. Which brand mows best in wet grass? Scag or Exmark. Would appreciate some suggestions from folks who operate WB's on a daily basis and has to mow wet or dry. Thanks......

2. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

I am quite happy with my Ferris Fw35 in wet conditions....

But if your talking a different mower, a scag would be much better then the exmark as it's a much more open deck design. Just make sure it's a Scag with velocity deck. They sell multiple decks.

3. bluetruck

bluetruck LawnSite Senior Member

we have a toro Tbar with a turboforce deck (considered one of the top cutting decks i have heard) on it, it will still throw out cow turds when you are mowing thick wet grass. we pressure wash under the decks after about 2 weeks or 1 month depending on the amount of rain we get. within a day of mowing you couldnt tell they were cleaned at all. we also have some scag vrides with the Velocity + deck, depending on who you talk to it is the best cutting deck there is, i cant disagree with that either. but it still gets clumpy in thick soaked grass.

what it comes down to, your best friend is going to be a backpack blower of some sort. no matter the deck you are using, you will need to "power rake" the clumps if it is a treated lawn and soaked. the weather has been pretty jungle like for the last few years where i am at and it is just a part of mowing life to have to spread the clumps in the spring.

4. bluetruck

bluetruck LawnSite Senior Member

after using a handful of different mowers with different decks, i like the velocity plus deck the best and would get one again. just have realistic expectations with mowing in the rain.

5. Youngandfree

Youngandfree LawnSite Member
    from VA

What kind of blades are you running? I get trememndous difference running Gator g5 on my Raptor Limited and it gets caked up so bad I can fill a 5gal bucket when I scrape. Vs standard high lift blade that mows the same yards in same conditions faster and no build up.

6. OP
    OP
    Danny Richardson

What yr model is your Ferris? I was told they redesigned the decks in '18 but I haven't tried to verify that. I like my mower a lot, but when it is wet like it was this am. after rain last night. My deck will be just a clogged up mess in 1 or 2 yards. That is only complaint I have with it.

7. OP
    OP
    Danny Richardson

I have Gators on right now. Maybe I need to try a high lift. Do you recommend one particular brand?

8. Youngandfree

Youngandfree LawnSite Member
    from VA

I got Oregon from Jacks Small Engines.

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Washing the underneath of the deck every TWO weeks?
    In wet weather that’s an everyday thing
    In wet weather you may need to clean the deck manually every lawn or even multiple times per lawn,
    Yes even on a scag.

what I’m reading here is a bunch of new young bucks that have little experience and unrealistic expectations

where do you clean your deck?
    It’s called the trailer
    Scoop it up and throw it in a plastic barrel you should be carrying with you along with radon stuck or other debris you pick up from lawn to lawn.

if it gets really rough you break out the grass gobbler and a tarp

this is the way it’s always been
    Certain blade and deck technology had mitigated that somewhat over the years, but none of it disappears entirely.

10. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

Not 100% on my mowers yr. I'm going into the 4th season with it, but it was a leftover.
    I have a FW35. I run double blades in the spring and summer. 1 highlift, and 1 G5.

I scrape the deck when I change blades, but rarely have to during the mowing day. The deck rarely spits and chunks.

hort101 likes this.