Walk behind guys GITT

snapper

LawnSite Senior Member
is the middle point of the front of the deck centered on the roller? or offset to the side of the roller? the centered is the old deck, and sucks in wet grass. if it is offset it is the newer style deck which is a lot better in wet grass but still holds varying amounts of grass according to conditions. i have had both and the old style i found no way to improve it. i really like the new style deck compared to the old.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
is the middle point of the front of the deck centered on the roller? or offset to the side of the roller? the centered is the old deck, and sucks in wet grass. if it is offset it is the newer style deck which is a lot better in wet grass but still holds varying amounts of grass according to conditions. i have had both and the old style i found no way to improve it. i really like the new style deck compared to the old.
20170501_153201.jpg

That's what I got. Can you tell?

bluetruck

LawnSite Senior Member
Washing the underneath of the deck every TWO weeks?
In wet weather that’s an everyday thing
In wet weather you may need to clean the deck manually every lawn or even multiple times per lawn,
Yes even on a scag.

what I’m reading here is a bunch of new young bucks that have little experience and unrealistic expectations

where do you clean your deck?
It’s called the trailer
Scoop it up and throw it in a plastic barrel you should be carrying with you along with radon stuck or other debris you pick up from lawn to lawn.

if it gets really rough you break out the grass gobbler and a tarp

this is the way it’s always been
Certain blade and deck technology had mitigated that somewhat over the years, but none of it disappears entirely.

been in the business 10+ years, if i thought i needed to clean the deck after every lawn or even everyday id have given it up long ago.

snapper

LawnSite Senior Member
must be a 48”? my knowledge is with the 52” deck. not sure on the 48”. you would have to compare the underside of your deck to one at the dealer. on the 52 old style the front baffle was really close to the discharge blade, when they changed it they put more room between the blade and baffle. your issues sound exactly like what i was dealing with. my only thought would be to try some different blades? try some with less lift and see what they do.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
Try stacking 2 sand blades per spindle in a + formation. That does the trick on eXmarks. Havent tried it on my FW25's because they run mulch kits

oabdu123

LawnSite Senior Member
we have a toro Tbar with a turboforce deck (considered one of the top cutting decks i have heard) on it, it will still throw out cow turds when you are mowing thick wet grass. we pressure wash under the decks after about 2 weeks or 1 month depending on the amount of rain we get. within a day of mowing you couldnt tell they were cleaned at all. we also have some scag vrides with the Velocity + deck, depending on who you talk to it is the best cutting deck there is, i cant disagree with that either. but it still gets clumpy in thick soaked grass.

what it comes down to, your best friend is going to be a backpack blower of some sort. no matter the deck you are using, you will need to "power rake" the clumps if it is a treated lawn and soaked. the weather has been pretty jungle like for the last few years where i am at and it is just a part of mowing life to have to spread the clumps in the spring.
Bluetuck do you run the 36 Proline?

bluetruck

LawnSite Senior Member
Bluetuck do you run the 36 Proline?

we run 36 toro commercials now, i did have a 36 proline Tbar and had zero issues with it, it was somewhat lighter than the commercial and i almost prefer that. the commercial has a turboforce deck and it cuts real nice. only reason i got rid of the proline, it was just used up, very high hours.

Cam15

LawnSite Fanatic
Running a wright stander B, and in VERY wet conditions I’ll clean out the deck a couple times per lawn. I normally just drive it up the ramp half way and bare hand it out.

Top Forums