1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Horsepower? 36' or 48"

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by kona, Feb 5, 2002.

1. kona

kona LawnSite Member

I am buying my first EXMARK (gear drive) walk behind mower & can't decide on which Kawasaki engine to get!!
    - On the 36" fixed METRO walk behind (gear Drive)is 12.5 kawasaki enough? or is 15 hp necessary and why?
    - On the 48" fixed is 15 enough or 17hp?
    - Do you need more Horsepower when running a 36" or 48"floating deck vs. 36" or 48"fixed

THANKS for all your help!!!!!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

kona:

The answers to your questions really depend upon what you are going to do with the clippings (i.e. - mulch or side-discharge) and how fast you want to cut the grass. Years ago, people cut grass with a lot less horsepower, and they did just fine. They just cut the grass a lot slower than we can today.

On the 36" and 48", the 12.5-hp and the 15-hp Kaw.'s are enough power to cut the grass without any problems. You can even mulch with both engine and deck configurations. The main difference between the 12.5-hp and the 15-hp on the 36" and the 15-hp and 17-hp on the 48" is the speed at which you will be able to mulch the grass. With the higher horsepower models, you may be able to go a little faster, and you may find that the engine bogs down less. How much of a difference you will see depends a lot upon the type of grass you are cutting and how much grass you are cutting off.

If you are going to mulch and pull a sulky behind your Metro, I would recommend going with the higher horsepower model for the 36". The 15-hp on the 48" is adequate, but it wouldn't hurt to have a little more hp.

To answer your final question, no, you do not need more horsepower when running a floating deck unit. 'Scapers almost always want more horsepower, so we try to accommodate them. If you have any other questions, either e-mail me at Dustin.Schwab@exmark.com or call 402/223-6212.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support