Walk behind hp

Ray_Lawns

LawnSite Member
I am a pretty big guy (6' 265lbs) and I am looking to buy a turf tracer this year. How much hp do you guys think i need to pull me around? I do a few pretty good hills one of which is really steep. Thanks for the input.

ashgrove landscaping

LawnSite Gold Member
I think the biggest they put on walk behinds is 25 or so on the 60". You ll have to hop off and walk a pitch or two that's for sure. I know I do and I'm around 140. I like them to be going as fast as possible. Might just want to look into a Z.

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
I am 6' 260, was around 280 at my worst, and have a 48" Viking with a 15hp motor. I have never thought it did not have enough power to pull me along on a sulky. There are times i wished it had more power for long thick grass, but it has always pulled me just fine. On hills, it will lose traction on the steep hills that I struggle to walk up, but there is no groaning of the hydros from pulling me.

OP
Ray_Lawns

Ray_Lawns

LawnSite Member
I have ran a 23hp with a 52" deck alot and didn't have any trouble. I guess what I am looking for is what can I get by with now that I am on my own. I am finding alot of 15-19 hp units and I just don't want to buy and then the mower not be as effective as I need it to be.