• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Walk Behind Sprayers

jaclawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I have been mulling over this issue for a while now. I currently do dry apps, and backpack for weeds. Most of my lawns are 15,000sf+, and some are fairly populated with weeds. I can get pretty good results with the dry material on just about all but post emergent weed control. <p>Backpacking takes some considerable time on some of my lawns, especially new ones that are heavily weeded. There is also the operator error factor with backpacking, it is easy to miss some weeds. <p>I toyed with the idea of a truck mounted spray rig, but for many reasons, I have hesitated against one. <p>I got to thinking today about the Perma Green attachemnt for the push spreaders. It seems like it may be a nice comprimise. <p>I do have a few concerns though. <p>1. Weight. The website says that the unit is 11# empty, and 33# full. That is a lot of weight to add to a spreader, especially since I do a lot of hills. Do you guys not put as much fert in the hopper when using this unit? Can the unit be removed eaisly if it won't be needed?<p>2. What about the on/off system? Can you do it on the fly, seeing a patch of lawn that does not need the liquid, shut it off and then back on during the pass?<p>3. Do you find yourself using more material, compared with spot treating? If so, is the added material worth the time savings?<p>4. I use a double overlap pattern with my spreader, that is, I throw the material just to the tire mark of my last pass, (the area right in front of the spreader puts down 2x, the rest is 1x), does the double overlap have any effect on the liquid?<p>It just seems that you can get a little more consistent coverage with one of these units compared to hit and miss with a backpack. <p>So from you guys that have them, what are your thoughts on them???

ChrisYanik

LawnSite Member
A walk-behind sprayer??????<p>YAAAAAAA....OK.......That almost makes sence.<p>Shouldn't the sprayer boom be mounted behind you so you don't get herbicide misting all over you???<p>Course I guess using a skid sprayer isn't much better.<p>Just a thought....Please excuss me if I sound like a dumb-*^&&(....

excel25

LawnSite Senior Member
Been using perma green sprayer and like it alot. chemilal use is good and coverage is much better and faster than backpack.

Lazer

LawnSite Bronze Member
jaclawn,<p>1.) The weight is a concern, I use it on a power Lesco spreader. I did have one on a push spreader, but only for a little while. Your spreader weighs 70 lbs. or so (full) and adding 33 will be noticeable, especially during the summer. <p>Figure it'll be 1/2 full most of the time and you're only adding 20 lbs.<p>If you're doing 15,000 sq. ft. + lawns, it's time to get more than just a push spreader anyway.<p>2.) It comes with a momentary on/off swith, which you can hold (confortably) for a whole lawn or just trigger for weedy areas.<p>3.) You use less herbicide because it's always going down at the proper rate with no skips.<p>4.) It's meant for your overlap pattern. It spreads 9', which you'll find is about how far your tire marks are apart.<p>Chris,<br>You need to have your spray in front of you for visibility when spraying landscaped areas. True you do walk through the sprayed area (if you're walking) but it doesn't &quot;mist&quot; on you.

jaclawn

LawnSite Senior Member
Just swung by for lunch, and after reading the favorable replies, called and ordered a unit. <p>Lazer- Thanks for your advice, yes, I agree that something more than a push spreader is what I need, I just don't have the number of accounts to justify something just yet. Maybe next year I will be asking you about your ride on! Thanks for all your help.<p>

B

bill phagan

Check out GROUNDTEK.COM for all kinds of modular spray and spreader equip..........

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
Lazer and Excel, Sounds like a nice setup, but what do you do when you have a strip that narrows - like between two beds or something?

jaclawn

LawnSite Senior Member
I had the same question. When I calle dto order the kit, I asked about this. THe guy on the phone was very understanding of this situation, and told me that the factory has no kit to shut off one of the nozzles, but that a standard 1/4&quot; shutoff valve can be places in line, and that the right side nozzle shut off. I guess that in areas tighter than that, you are forced to break out the manual sprayer. It shoule still be a time saver. I'll give a report after I get it up and running.

excel25

LawnSite Senior Member
Went to lowes and got a shut off valve and put on left side. works great, use alot around beds. took about 1.5hrs to install everything. <p>----------<br>Dennis<br>EXCEL LAWN CARE