• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Walk Behind Sprayers

jaclawn

LawnSite Senior Member
The unit arrived the other day, (4 working days after ordering), and looks promising. I did manage to get it installed this morning. I did run into a few trouble areas.

The tank of the unit looks to be designed for a spreader that has a relativly long front panel. I was mounting it on a Lesco Mark II, and it has a low profile hopper. This ment that only the top two bolts could be used for mounting to the hopper. I fabricated a bracket to mount the bottom of the tank to the front bar bumper of the spreaders frame.

Another tie up that I occored was with the two boom pipes. Apparantly they sent two rights (lefts?) with the kit. It was still workable, the mounting was just a little more challanging.

I may, after putting some use on the unit, fabricate a little diffrent switch assembally. I am thinking of something along the lines of a hand brake lever that would be used on a bicycle. I'll have to see how I like the simple toggle switch. It seems kinda cheap.

It took about 3-4 hours for me to install. Keep in mind that I anti-nit-wit everything. I don't give anything a chance to get screwed up. I ran all the wiring in black plastic wire loom, tying it neatly to the handle bars. I also put small pieces of hose on the supply lines, in any places that they will rub against anything. I also hard mounted the valve manifold to the spreader frame, not just letting it hang by the hoses. I put a small fitting and hose on the fill spout for the bottle.

The instructions that came with the unit left a lot to be desired. Not that they were totally inadequate, but they were not what I would expect for something that cost $350.00.

I didn't get a chance to use it today, nor was I able to calibrate it because it was rainin all day. I know that I will have to make a slight adjustment, the spray pattern is hitting the tank, and a slight amount of water was dripping off the tank.

I did do the pacing off calibration that the company suggests, and I came up with the following amounts of chemical per gallon. For Momentum, I figures 6-7 oz, per gallon of water. Is this in the right neighborhood? I am going to do a full calibration, and test it out on some scrappy turf before taking it on a customers lawn.

I'll update you on the use of the unit after I have it in action. I am hopeful...