1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Vs Stander

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Love 2 Mow, May 22, 2020.

1. Love 2 Mow

Love 2 Mow LawnSite Member

I know this has been debated quite a bit on lawnsite. I am looking to purchase a new Bradley Mower. I am solo in my business and I am 14. I can’t decide if I want a Bradley 48 stand on or a Bradley 48 hydro drive walk behind. Whichever one I choose, it will be my main and only Mower. I currently use a small snapper sit down Mower but one I upgrade I will no longer use the snapper. I have several hills. I am leaning toward the walk behind because hillside stability is more important to me than extra speed. I also liked the scag SWZT and V Ride 2 however those are slightly out of my price range. Any suggestions are appreciated.

2. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

The walk behind is the most versatile if you are login to have only one mower. My thought would be to purchase a walk behind first and if you grow your business purchase a stander/rider later using the walk behind as a backup/hillside mower.

3. OP
    OP
    Love 2 Mow

Thanks for the advice I think I will go with the walk behind and put a sulky on it.

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Thumbs Up

5. OP
    OP
    Love 2 Mow

I had decided on the Bradley 48 wb Mower but I searched for Bradley dealers and the closest is 5 hours away from where I live. They do ship but it would be nice to have dealer support. There is only one dealer where I live and they sell Big Dog and Redmax. I am considering getting a big dog alpha 52. Should I go with the big dog? They are similar prices. I could go with the big dog and grow my business and then get a bigger commercial mower. What do y’all think?

6. EricC

EricC LawnSite Senior Member

I think if you were wanting a walk behind for versatility and dealing with your hills, I'd look for one and not get a sit down ztr because it's the only thing in town.

There has to be something within an hour or so around you that could give you a lot of WB options?

7. OP
    OP
    Love 2 Mow

There is an exmark dealer and I would go with the turf tracer but that is a little bit out of my price range. I will probably stick with the Bradley.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Mownmachine144 likes this.
  8. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

You could find something used in good condition. I'm telling you if your in a budget price range it's hard to beat low hour used WB's on Craigslist, letgo, etc. If your even considerin used equipment.

Cam15 likes this.
  9. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

And keep up the good work. Never get discouraged. Keep it pushing.;)Thumbs Up

Tara Ann and sjessen like this.