Walk behind

7stw

LawnSite Member
ive found myself in need of a new 48” walk behind. Ran older turf tracers and swz scags for a while, but this is my first brand new purchase. Considering the following: Turf tracer, SWZT, Wright velkie. Of the 3 what does everyone prefer? Cut quality, low turf damage, and leaving a good stripe are top priority. I only do a few yards and they are all heavily watered tall fescue residential properties. I use an accelerator basket in the spring for grass collection. This machine will see 120-150 hours per year.

Thanks for any response. Been a long time lurker. With a big purchase on deck Im happy to be on board with a group with this much knowledge.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
ive found myself in need of a new 48” walk behind. Ran older turf tracers and swz scags for a while, but this is my first brand new purchase. Considering the following: Turf tracer, SWZT, Wright velkie. Of the 3 what does everyone prefer? Cut quality, low turf damage, and leaving a good stripe are top priority. I only do a few yards and they are all heavily watered tall fescue residential properties. I use an accelerator basket in the spring for grass collection. This machine will see 120-150 hours per year.

Thanks for any response. Been a long time lurker. With a big purchase on deck Im happy to be on board with a group with this much knowledge.
Curious
Why not just get a stander?

if I was going to get a 48”
It would be a belt drive

if I was going to get a hydro walk
I’d get a stander

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Why belt over hydro?
Belt doesn’t f up turf
Weighs less
Less expensive
Easier to modulate speed and feather controls without constantly correcting/adjusting/calibrating
Less to break over time
Better performance on hillsides

if you want a hydro walk I don’t get not getting a stander the prices of both units are so close and on the stander the controls are like a rider and not like a tank.

but the hydro walk has just about the exact same likihood of rutting or turf divoting

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Bronze Member
Belt doesn’t f up turf
Weighs less
Less expensive
Easier to modulate speed and feather controls without constantly correcting/adjusting/calibrating
Less to break over time
Better performance on hillsides

if you want a hydro walk I don’t get not getting a stander the prices of both units are so close and on the stander the controls are like a rider and not like a tank.

but the hydro walk has just about the exact same likihood of rutting or turf divoting
I was really drawn to the twin lever controls on the toro proline walks. I’m weary about having a machine keep going if you let go and I imagine it would be easier to steer with the levers. Either way I would have sold myself short getting anything but a stander, god I love that Deere.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I was really drawn to the twin lever controls on the toro proline walks. I’m weary about having a machine keep going if you let go and I imagine it would be easier to steer with the levers. Either way I would have sold myself short getting anything but a stander, god I love that Deere.
The levers like that only work well if you’re not walking (like standing on a sulky) otherwise they’re odd and cantankerous
And then, why not get a stander?

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Bronze Member
The levers like that only work well if you’re not walking (like standing on a sulky) otherwise they’re odd and cantankerous
And then, why not get a stander?
I remember seeing the price of the 36” just above $5k but the special toro flip up sulky was almost a grand extra. That’s when I turned the page on the proline.

Top Forums