Walk behind

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
Maybe the op might want to look into the stander b or Bradley stand on. He is worried about turf damage but didn’t mention why it’s worrying to him.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
Avoid the belt. If you have all these problems TP has controlling hydro Walks go w/ the FW's. Fingertip control. Try spinning a z turn w/fingertips on a belt

OP

7stw

LawnSite Member
I know and can see the draw to stander mowers, but they aren’t for me or the few yards I maintain. Weight (and me being on the mower) does do more turf damage than I’d like. Specifically making sharp corners around natural areas. I tried one for a few weeks, and if I were logging the hours most of you guys do I would entertain the stander, but a hydro walk behind is the right tool for my application.

OP

7stw

LawnSite Member
Maybe the op might want to look into the stander b or Bradley stand on. He is worried about turf damage but didn’t mention why it’s worrying to him.

a stander is roughly 300# more weight than a walk behind, then add 250# (me) to the total weight of man and machine If I’m on it. So you’re adding 500-600 pounds on your foot print. The yards I maintain might have just had a heavy soaking from irrigation seconds before I pull up. I tell them to all water at sunrise, but that doesn’t always work out. There is a noticeable difference in rutting and turf damage on my properties from that 500 extra pounds. Just no way around it. id love to be on a stander, it’s just not the right tool for my job. I didn’t mean to get into lawn care. I cut with a crew in college 3 days a week, but thought it would end there. I have just always been super meticulous about my yard. My yard caught the attention of one of the “wealthier“ neighborhoods down the road. I was asked about doing a few of theirs, I priced it super high because then I’d need insurance, biz lic, LLC, etc.. Also told them it was all or nothing (seed, fert schedul, lime to the soil sample, aeration, etc) Now I do 10 properties in this neighborhood... They take care of me, and I do a good job for them. And my full time job lends itself to me doing yards a few days a week. It works.

Thats the long version of why turf damage is ultra high on my radar. For what these folks are paying, ruts and torn turf around corners isn’t an option.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
a stander is roughly 300# more weight than a walk behind, then add 250# (me) to the total weight of man and machine If I’m on it. So you’re adding 500-600 pounds on your foot print. The yards I maintain might have just had a heavy soaking from irrigation seconds before I pull up. I tell them to all water at sunrise, but that doesn’t always work out. There is a noticeable difference in rutting and turf damage on my properties from that 500 extra pounds. Just no way around it. id love to be on a stander, it’s just not the right tool for my job. I didn’t mean to get into lawn care. I cut with a crew in college 3 days a week, but thought it would end there. I have just always been super meticulous about my yard. My yard caught the attention of one of the “wealthier“ neighborhoods down the road. I was asked about doing a few of theirs, I priced it super high because then I’d need insurance, biz lic, LLC, etc.. Also told them it was all or nothing (seed, fert schedul, lime to the soil sample, aeration, etc) Now I do 10 properties in this neighborhood... They take care of me, and I do a good job for them. And my full time job lends itself to me doing yards a few days a week. It works.

Thats the long version of why turf damage is ultra high on my radar. For what these folks are paying, ruts and torn turf around corners isn’t an option.
Sorry to veer your thread off course.

Turf Tracer

LawnSite Fanatic
a stander is roughly 300# more weight than a walk behind, then add 250# (me) to the total weight of man and machine If I’m on it. So you’re adding 500-600 pounds on your foot print. The yards I maintain might have just had a heavy soaking from irrigation seconds before I pull up.

ditto, Standers, especially small frame standers rip and wreck here plus cant put them in the ditches. They end up sitting on trailers while guys push mow.

I don't think Pendagast has operated a hydro Walk since the 90's. You can easily and precisely control the wheel spin of each independent wheel with many of the current control systems which all but eliminates the potential for turf damage and makes maneuvering effortless. And despite the Old-Timey assertion that you don't need instant reverse...you do.

OP

7stw

LawnSite Member
ditto, Standers, especially small frame standers rip and wreck here plus cant put them in the ditches. They end up sitting on trailers while guys push mow.

I don't think Pendagast has operated a hydro Walk since the 90's. You can easily and precisely control the wheel spin of each independent wheel with many of the current control systems which all but eliminates the potential for turf damage and makes maneuvering effortless. And despite the Old-Timey assertion that you don't need instant reverse...you do.

No doubt. The reason I have the contracts I do is because the company before me used standers. Super high end residential is a walk behind game until I’m proven otherwise. And I’d use a pair of scissors before I bought a belt drive. Reverse is just too important. My heart is telling me to buy a TT, but the wright has my interest also.

Top Forums