1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Walk behinds, who still uses them?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by uncle kevin, Jan 21, 2016.

1. uncle kevin

uncle kevin LawnSite Member

Since the introduction of the ZTR and Stand-on mowers. I'm curious how many LCO's still use walk behinds?

If you do, how many do you have?

What Brand/Model do you have?

What widths/horsepower do you have?

I think it'll be interesting to see if, or how many, of these are still depended on today.

Uncle Kevin

2. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

Bought a gravely 36inch wb back when i was starting my business....it did the job and i kept it for almost ten years,last 7 years as a back yard mower. traded it in for a 34 dixie chopper rider which i had for 9 years and recently sold that and bought a 36 gravely pro stance. I have 0 interest or need to ever own another wb

Posted via Mobile Device

3. cschade

cschade LawnSite Member

I run a Lesco 48" belt drive. 15 horsepower. It is perfect for my needs. Some people hate belt drives but for the kind of cutting I do (wide, open yards often an acre of more) it is the best thing I have found. Maintence is a lot cheaper than a hydro or ZTR

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Walk behinds and riders are about a 50-50% mix in this area. Standoffs maybe 3-5%. I have run wbs for all of my time as an lco (beginning my 25th season). Main mower is a 60" Exmark Turf Tracer, also have a 48" Turf Tracer and a 30" Exmark. Purchased a 60" Vantage when they first came out in '12 but use it less than the Turf Tracer. I really enjoy the Vantage but with the hills, etc on my properties the was ae a bit faster overall.

The hp on the 60" is 23; the 48 is 17hp. The Vantage has a 26hp Efi using the old system. Btw, I really like the efi

After so many years the ecs controls my hands hurt a good bit at times. The z type controls on the standon mowers are much better ergonomically.

ericg likes this.
  5. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Tons of guys in my area still run them. Big and small companies. A lot are belt drives too!

I have a 52 exmark metro. Belt drive 16hp vanguard. Used to have a snapper pro 36/&32 and JD 36.. Few others.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg likes this.
  6. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

I hardly see any walk-behinds in my area. Most LCO's, including myself, run ZTR's.

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

From my reading most parts of the country are like your area. One of our local dealers was told by his distributor that he sells more walk behinds than the entire state of Florida and he is not a huge dealer.

My understanding is that walk behinds are more expensive to build (labor) than z's so the manufacturers are pushing those instead which also helps explain why walk behinds are becoming as pricy as riders.

ericg likes this.
  8. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

I also think that because of the flat land and the sizes of the properties that are cut in the south, ZTR's are the better option. I know for me personally, not many of my properties would be great for a walk-behind mower. Thinking about it now, my John Deere dealer doesn't even have walk-behinds in stock.

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

If it weren't for our hills we'd be the same as your area.

ericg likes this.
  10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

they don't even sell walkbehinds or standers in my area. they have 1 stander at the deere dealer and it's been sitting there over a year now.

all everyone uses is ztrs and 21" mowers for tight areas.