1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Walk behinds, who still uses them?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by uncle kevin, Jan 21, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    uncle kevin

uncle kevin LawnSite Member

You would've thought there'd be a decline in the amount of manufacture's making walk behinds these days. It seems the converse is true. It seems there's more companies making walk behinds these days than ever. I just seen where Kubota got in the game along with it's sister Husqvarna. Well I think their sisters. Dixie Chopper is trying it's hand at walk behinds now. Just seems weird to me, so many wanting to build these things. They must see something coming down the pipe. Idk

2. wheatus

wheatus LawnSite Bronze Member

We run mostly ride-on ZTRs but will start transitioning out of them as much as possible. They are big, heavy and are hard on customer's property, especially hillsides. They are expensive relative to walk-behinds. At least for us, it makes our guys lazy and they try to do too much with them.

3. TrainingWheels

TrainingWheels LawnSite Silver Member

We just stepped up also got a Gravely Hydro we've aptly named the "Water Buffalo"....Only used her twice (in December...go figure:rolleyes:) it was great, way overbuilt but it's a big step up.

BR,

~TW

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Not just a DC model either. They bought the rights to the BOP designs. A well built and missed model with versions to fit any budget. The only real complaint was the deck needed some tuning out the box. A great commercial machine at reasonable prices. Plenty of YT videos on them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg likes this.
  5. scm

scm LawnSite Member

I take one with me every day. I mow 90% with a ZTR but always keep a walk behind on the truck. I still use a 2000 and 2004 ExMark Turf Tracer. I bought them original and each have approximately 1900 hrs. All my mowers are 52" so no matter what mower I am on, I stay on my stripes. I use them around ponds and on hillsides. I have yet to put one in the drink, and I get pretty close to the edge to avoid a lot of trimming. I have a few yards that would be impossible to cut with a stand on or ZTR due to the grade of their yards. Don't tell my customers. I have only used my 2004 Turf Tracer on my yard. I do not want the weight of a ZTR on my yard each week.

6. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I'll be running an older exmark metro 52 this year. Keep getting low ball offers, so just going to put the money into it. Should be worth it
    Posted via Mobile Device

ericg likes this.
  7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I cut our lawn with either a Timemaster or Exmark 30" for the same reason.

ericg likes this.
  8. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

We use walk behinds and push mowers exclusively due to the fact we have mostly smaller properties and these units work great on them. We use two Exmark Turf Tracer S Series 48 and a 36, plus we have Toro and Exmark commercial 21s. However due to the price and quality, I will probably switching my Turf Tracers for the new Wrights eventually. Also would like to try a Gravely Pro Walk and maybe one of the Toros with the dual level split T bar controls.