• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

walkbehind edger

columbiaplower

LawnSite Senior Member
i just started pushing edging this year. i had only been edging the 4 commercials but i did some reaserech and found i could make some real money. i have a old craftsman i've been using and just got the stihll fs75 stick edger. but i need a new walk behind. what do u use and the pros and cons. what would u recommend? thanks<p>nick

jeffyr

LawnSite Senior Member
I HAVE A LITTLE WONDER COMMERCIAL 5HP.<br>Major complaint is that the belts slip when the going gets tough on a new customer the wasn't edged in years.<br>Major plus is that I saw it by the curb being thrown away with nothing wrong but a cracked spark plug !<p>jeff

GroundKprs

LawnSite Bronze Member
Trick for edging those walks that haven't been done for years (Little Wonder takes a 10&quot; blade, most others at least 9&quot;): keep an old used blade for this type of edging. On the same machine, you have a lot more power delivered at cutting tip with a 7&quot; blade than with a 9&quot; or 10&quot;, and will reduce belt wear and slippage.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

Runner

LawnSite Fanatic
I mentioned this in a different conversation regarding drivebelts on walk behind mowers but it applies to this too. Go to the hardware or auto store and pick up a canof belt dressing (couple of bucks). Just a SMALL squirt on the inside of the belt, it'll work like new! Wel, provided that the belt isn't TOO worn out.