1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

walkbehind edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by columbiaplower, Jul 30, 2000.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i just started pushing edging this year. i had only been edging the 4 commercials but i did some reaserech and found i could make some real money. i have a old craftsman i've been using and just got the stihll fs75 stick edger. but i need a new walk behind. what do u use and the pros and cons. what would u recommend? thanks<p>nick

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I HAVE A LITTLE WONDER COMMERCIAL 5HP.<br>Major complaint is that the belts slip when the going gets tough on a new customer the wasn't edged in years.<br>Major plus is that I saw it by the curb being thrown away with nothing wrong but a cracked spark plug !<p>jeff

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Husky, the belt slips very easy in tough going,rather slow machine.

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Trick for edging those walks that haven't been done for years (Little Wonder takes a 10&quot; blade, most others at least 9&quot;): keep an old used blade for this type of edging. On the same machine, you have a lot more power delivered at cutting tip with a 7&quot; blade than with a 9&quot; or 10&quot;, and will reduce belt wear and slippage.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I mentioned this in a different conversation regarding drivebelts on walk behind mowers but it applies to this too. Go to the hardware or auto store and pick up a canof belt dressing (couple of bucks). Just a SMALL squirt on the inside of the belt, it'll work like new! Wel, provided that the belt isn't TOO worn out.

6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i heard that JD wb edgers are good too, anyone use one?

7. niblick49

niblick49 LawnSite Member

Try out the Tanaka TLE-550 Gear Shaft driven edger. Our golf course uses one for the entire course cartpaths. It's a hoss.