Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Banned
1,937 Posts
F-150, 48" Scag WB, aluminum ramps. I'm unloaded before you find a parking spot for that huge trailer. Here in East Tennessee, the roads, and driveways, can be small.
People ask me why I don't have a trailer "yet." I don't need a trailer, I have simplified. If I had a trailer, I'd fill it, and the truck. I've been doing this a long time without a trailer, and don't see a need for a trailer, and a big supertruck to pull it with.
Some people are intimidated by loading a WB into a truck. I am not.
Crawdad

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
There is nothing wrong with doing it this way but you are limited to what you can take with you from job to job. So then you are forced to do other work at another time because you can not fit all the need equipment in the truck bed. I myself carry all my equipment with me on a 6 1/2 X 16 open trailer so there is never a need to go back to the shop for anything. Do what ever works for you the best. I'm going to be getting a 20' - 22' enclosed trailer in the near future :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Last year I worked from the bed of my truck. I only had a 21" Proline, trimmer, blower, gas cans, misc tools.

Every night and morning I'd have to load/unload everything, not to mention at each property.

This year I have a 5x12 trailer and I do FULL SERVICE. If it weren't for the trailer I wouldn't be able to haul around bags of fertilizer and my spreader so I can do an app after I'm done mowing.

I also end up with branches, sticks, grass clippings, dead flowers, weeds, etc... in the back of the truck each week. I also bag a couple properties because they have pools in the backyard. So now I have room for all that stuff.

At the end of the day I back the trailer into my garage and that's it.

I can understand if all you do is mow 'n go, but if you do full service and landscaping, you need a trailer. A client might come out one day and ask for a yard of soil, I like knowing that I can have it there in less than an hour without going back home to unload the back of my truck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
48" Viking and a 21" honda w/ a echo trimer and blower all in the back of my truck. works great for me, but I can't wait till I get my enclosed trailer.
~Jeff

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a Ford Ranger & trailer and now one of these, it's a Ford 1.5 ton with a taillift makes life easier...We too have small places to get in and out of, now use the Ranger as a "Estate Car"for large country houses where the tools are mostly kept on site.

http://community.webshots.com/album/50631124DQRCzy

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
I usually tow the trailer, even before I bought my Lazer HP.

However, I sometimes just put the 48" Turf Tracer on the truck for jobs that are far away, have poor access, etc.

Here's a pic of my "abbreviated rig". The only problem is that I have to take virtually everything else out of the truck to get the mower out.

Since I switched to arched alum. ramps instead of wood planks, I feel much more comfortable loading and unloading. The ramps have straps that I hook to the bumper to keep them from slipping out, and the arch keeps the deck from hanging up.

With planks, if the mower deck hangs up and makes the tires spin, it can spit it out the plank and cause serious damage to the mower and/or operator.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Banned
1,937 Posts
Originally posted by Jimbo
I would be intimidated too.

Jimbo
It's a piece of cake. Back it in, drive it out.

Originally posted by BSDeality
i dunno, driving a machine up and down ramps 10 or 15 times a day into the back of a truck seems like it'd get old real fast.

but, hey, whatever works for you.
It's no different than loading into a trailer, just a little steeper. I have ramps like Darryl's. Thanks for the links, MacLawn, but the name of the game here is Simplify.
Crawdad

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Here's my setup. I carry the following things on the truck: Sidemount toolbox, custom ramp with electric winch, 48 EXM ECS, Tanaka edger, Billy Goat push blower, Stihl handheld blower, Echo 260, Echo 260 w/edgit, gas cans. Have room for a spreader and a few bags of fertilizer.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
932 Posts
Naturescape, that's a pretty neat winch setup you have there.
We opted to go with a van for our vehicle, for a few reasons,
we like the enclosed trailer, but can't afford one yet (nor do we need it yet). Plus the price was right. Everything in the A-Team mobile, slam the door, and go. Little lower than a truck bed, and easy enough to get in and out.
Don't see too many LCO's with vans out there, did we miss something with our purchase... :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Don't see too many LCO's with vans out there, did we miss something with our purchase...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where do you put your mulch or grass clippings? I guess if you don't deal with either one, then a van is fine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey NATURESCAPE like the ramp fabricrication-
Like I posted above- I'm going to send a 1 man crew out next year, and looking for a nice ramp system-

Do you think you can show me some close up pictures of that ramp and winch- I might try that myself- Let me know how you fabricated-
Leave on post or e-mail at new address [email protected]

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.