1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Walkbehind or ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DB Lawns, Mar 21, 2005.

1. DB Lawns

DB Lawns LawnSite Member

I have a 60 inch hydro walk-behind with sulky and would like to buy a ZTR. I do this work part time cutting yards from approximately 10,000sq ft to about 2 acres. I would like to know if a 48" ZTR would cut as much grass as the 60" walk-behind in the same amount of time?

DB Lawns

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

me personally, I would just stick with the 60"

3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark has a productivity chart on their site... check it out.

4. DB Lawns

DB Lawns LawnSite Member

Hey tiedeman,

The standing and aching hands are the main reason for looking for a different way but I do not want to loose production.

5. tiedeman

from earth

how many hours a week do you mow since you said you do this part time?

With the aching hands I would suggest a couple of things; gloves, and adjust the tension on the grips

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No way. Period

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I've never compared the two, but I would say you'd loose time with the ZTR. I mow lawns in the same size range and I have a 48 hydro WB with a sulky and a 52 inch Lazer.

For the smaller or heavily landscaped yards, I can actually make better time with the WB unless I'm double cutting, in which case the ZTR wins, since I can do the 2nd cut faster.

You've got to be more careful (slower) with turning a ZTR because they rip turf more easily. They also don't trim as well with the mid deck. Add in a significantly smaller deck and I think you'd regret it. Now if you're bagging and have to run back to the truck a lot to dump, you might make up the time with quicker transport and larger bagging capacity.

8. tiedeman

from earth

have to agree that in smaller lawns I make better time with w/ a WB too

9. DB Lawns

DB Lawns LawnSite Member

tiedeman, somewhere around 12 to 20 hours a week mowing. The only reason that I have the 60" wb is because of the good deal I got on it. As I said earlier the standing and the pistol grips are wearing me down.