1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Walker 54" versus 52"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guy's / gal's. Just wanted to let everyone know what I found out when I Demoed the 52" Walker SD. I tried it with the mulch kit, was not at all impressed. I was only taking maybe an 11/2 of dry grass and it was bunching up and blowing all over me. Then they took out the baffles and to my SURPRISE the double blade set-up CHEWED up the grass and not one clipping laying on top. I was totaly IMPRESSED with this deck. It sure will BEAT double cutting everything that I now have to do with my 54" SD.
    I'm getting a leftover 99 deck for $1300.00, a far cry from the $1900 that they want for a 2001 model.
    So do you think I'm heading in the right direction going to the 52"w/ double blades versus the 54" w/ single blade set-up. I need your advice before I make my purchase.

Thanks,

Mowman

2. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

I have a 52" sd and with the mulching kit baffels it really builds up and clumps, with just the mulching blades it works great.

Does the 99 deck tilt up? I sure wish mine did.

I have tryed double blades but my yard is to thin and dust goes every where.

3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i never did like the bafffles, i've been running the 52" w/o baffles for quite a while and love it!

4. OwenS

OwenS LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Mowman,

I use both the 52" with double blades and the 54" with single SD.

I like the 52" better in almost all conditions, and if I could, I would

trade my 54" back for a 52".

Good luck.

5. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

News for owners. Walker will soon discontinue the 54" deck so be aware of these changes. It will now become a 56" deck and also a 74" deck will be available next year. If it were me I prefer the 52" deck anyway. No gearboxes to destoy. I think that has been the opinion of most Walker owners which is why the 54 is on the way out.