Walker Dethatcher Attachment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by AWilsonCreativeServices, Dec 29, 2019.

1. AWilsonCreativeServices

AWilsonCreativeServices LawnSite Senior Member

-Sorry if this is in the wrong forum-

I am looking for input from anybody who has used Walker’s older design dethatcher vs./and/or their new “A10 Dethatcher”.
    The previous model floats out in front of the mower deck and follows the articulation of the deck, whereas the updated model has casters that allow the tines to follow the lawn’s contour to maintain a more even height above the root system so as to pull out thatch but not dig in too deeply (which I could see being an issue with the older style).

Reason I ask is that I can purchase an almost brand-new older (non-caster) style attachment locally for about $125, whereas I know the new units are at least $500. We have not offered this as a service to our lawn care customers before, but it’s something I would like to add. Unless anyone says the updated caster model is night-and-day better, I’m going to go with the older style so as to minimize my investment until we determine the dethatching (really just thatch raking, I know, and will advertise it as such) is a viable add-on service. Just wanted to draw on other people’s experience before I took the plunge. Thanks!

2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

I used one of the older ones to cleanup lawns in Spring. It's not technically a dethatcher; its more of a rake for dead grass.

3. OP
    OP
    AWilsonCreativeServices

AWilsonCreativeServices LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the response. I am hoping that picking one up second-hand will allow me to play with it a bit and use it as I am able to generate additional business from existing customers.

starry night- an aside, I’ve read many of your posts, and am always appreciative of your constructive and informative comments. I am slowly getting into landscape lighting, and have appreciated the wealth of info you share with the LS community.

4. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for your compliment "A". In my case, we didn't have an extra charge for using the Walker rake attachment; it was just part of our "routinely superior" maintenance services. We did charge for the "superior" aspect.

5. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I have ran older style for quite a few years now. It is all I use for dethatching now. It may not dig out the thatch an actual powerrake will but I deal with blue grass and go over my lawns 2 different directions and am impressed with the thatch it will pull out of the yard. You can adjust the depth you want by a couple bolts and sliding it in lower position or higher position. I run mine in middle seems to be a good heghth so I'm just catching the thatch and not just dragging along and scraping the ground and tearing the turf up. The old style powerrake with the tines were the best in my opinion. My bluebird is old style but it came with the blades instead of tines and sometimes would just want to beat the ground. You have to adjust a powerrake just right so your not tearing up turf. I really love my dethatcher on the walker , I feel it's really easy on the yards and if you set it up right you won't be tearing up the turf unless you get into some very tender areas which I avoid going through. Cannot tell you about newer model have never ran one but am very happy wirh my old style and would not be without it with all the dethatching I do.

6. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

We have a couple. They work really good if it’s dry-ish. Run over it a few times if it needs it. Worth the minimal investment. Get extra tines to have in hand.

7. Sod Squad

Sod Squad LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I've never used the newer style but I run a couple of the older styles and get along just fine. I've even used them in the past to lift up wet, matted leaves in the fall. I will agree with the "dry-ish" comment Brandon made. Too wet and you'll pick up a little mud which gums up the ghs deck terribly. Avoid turning with the attachment lowered to help save the tines. Also make sure you have the safety wire running through the loops of the tines so you don't lose one when they do break.

starry night likes this.
  8. dtford

dtford LawnSite Member
    from 02338

Have used the older style for years and like it a lot.To replace the tines can get expensive if you don't have the height adjusted just right. 7-8 bucks a piece. I like the easy off and on, real simple. I bought a new Walker in Sept. and they threw in a new style rake. Haven't used it yet, but once its on, it stays on. It's kind of like the JRCO except it has 2 pins instead of bolts. We'll see in the Spring.

9. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

good grief I have 6 walkers 1 is a parts machine now. Run 5 walkers Just bought a new one in 19 and got a 14000 dollar hat lol. wow I might have to come see your walker dealer.