1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Walker Engine Service Light.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ATouchofGrass, May 16, 2008.

1. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from CT

I have a Kohler 26 HP EFI in my Walker 48" GHS. Yesterday i was finishing up cutting one of uor larger accounts and noticed that i wasnt getting enough power in some areas, where ive had FULL power a weekago. It bogged down when i hit some higher grass thinking it was the blades that needed to be changed. Well i finished and parked it. Went and trimmed the lawn and came back blew everthing off and went to start it and put it on the trailer, I noticed that the Service Engine Light had come on and would go off about 3 or 4 seconds later. Today i went and did the "self test" by turning the ignition to the run position (3 times) and then let the light flash, it flashed for me 4-2 which is 42. If i could get any insight on this problem that would be fantastic! And should i just take it to my local Kohler Certified Dealer? Not too sure if i have to take it to a "Walker dealer".:confused:

2. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from CT

Any ideas?

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Code 42 is temp senor shorted to ground. You have a wire going to the temp senor that is shorting out against the frame or the temp senor is shorted "closed" Give me an email address and I will sent you a PDF with the code infor. You can PM me the email address if youdo not wish it posted in the open.

4. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

I posted this in your other thread, but it may be more relevant here:

I googled and found a Kohler service manual online:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2450_b.pdf

On page 99, it lists two possible causes for a blink code of 42:

Temperature Sensor Circuit: Shorted to Ground
    Temperature Sensor Circuit: Open Circuit or Short to Battery

Either way, it sounds like it's most likely a wiring problem concerning the temperature sensor. Look for any loose/disconnected wires, or any wires that have the insulation rubbed off of them allowing them to short.