1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the March 26 article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Walker mower mulch deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craig53, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Craig53

Craig53 LawnSite Member

I have a 26 efi and was thinking about buying a 48” mulch deck, I have been collecting grass on every account and want to cut back on collecting so much grass in the spring, Do they work well? I mow cool season grass and it’s wet and think during spring

2. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Senior Member

http://versimow.com/190055

We have mulch decks and these, and we like these a lot better, not to mention they are significantly cheaper. I would get the green plug plus the shredder blade kit since you can't run gaiter blades on a walker collection deck.

Craig53 likes this.
  3. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 48 in mulching deck and also have the plug kit , I prefer the deck .
    If it’s real wet it may clump a bit but if you raise the deck up a notch or two and make a second pass
    It will clean up. I don’t bag any grass , Walker is also coming out with a multi deck that will bag ,
    Side discharge and mulch ,

hort101 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Craig53

Craig53 LawnSite Member

5. OP
    OP
    Craig53

Craig53 LawnSite Member

Ok thanks, I imagine the new 3 in 1 deck will be pricey

6. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Senior Member

Its Walker so you know its gonna be pricey, lol.

7. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

The Walker 48 new style gator deck was the best they made for cool season grass. The new 52 is a clone but I have not heard how it compares.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Which is considered the best Walker mulch deck for southern grasses? Seriously looking at a B model this year.

hort101 likes this.
  9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

You will need local info from your area. Here the new M48 gator blade deck rules, but this is cool season turf. Master mowers in GA likes the 42A but that might be because they have a lot of stock in that deck??? Best thing is ask around to other cutters and talk the area Walker rep. I have a M42 and a 42A , The 42A is better at cleaning up light leaf debris one pass but cut quality is inferior at higher deck height. The M42 is better at standing up wet long grass at higher cut heights. It's a super productive deck if you are a practiced operator in touch conditions.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    hort101 likes this.
  10. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 42a, love the cut on Bermuda. Clean cut on one pass unless overgrown. I have a 52 side discharge deck, and rarely use it.