Walker mower shuts down when blades engage

Jeff Gill

LawnSite Member
Greetings, i am a new owner of a previously owned 95 walker mower m36-42. My mower keeps shutting down when I engage the blades. I checked to make sure that there weren't any blockages and the belts are engaging and I'm trying to figure out what is causing this problem. Whatever suggestions you could offer would be a great assistance. Thanks again for your help.

OP
J

Jeff Gill

LawnSite Member
Greetings, i am a new owner of a previously owned 95 walker mower m36-42. My mower keeps shutting down when I engage the blades. I made a few passes on my lawn and the grass catcher became full, I dumped the grass and restarted the mower and after that the blades will not engage. Is there a sensor that I need to reset or something? I checked to make sure that there weren't any blockages and the belts are engaging and I'm trying to figure out what is causing this problem. Whatever suggestions you could offer would be a great assistance. Thanks again for your help.

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Could be a safety switch that has failed, a bad PTO switch, a wiring issue where a wire is chaffed or a bad connector. Do you have a wiring diagram, test light or meter and can troubleshoot the problem? After you purchased this mower, did it work okay? If not, did the previous owner disclose that there was a problem? Hope you can get it fixed, keep us updated.

OP
J

Jeff Gill

LawnSite Member
The previous owner suggested that I check the blower fan that sends the grass into the hopper, he said that it might be stopped up and causing the motor to bog down. I'll check it this evening when I get home. If that's not it I'll check the seat sensor with a voltmeter as well. Thanks guys for your help