1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Walker Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Natural Impressions, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

How does everyone really like the walker riders. I was given a walker rider with kubota water cooled gasoline engine. Thing needs work. I got it running ( starter is bad) and even had it moving ( bad steering though) so i know the hydros work. Alot of the cables are rusted. Grass blower need to be replaced. Other then that it seems to a workable. I just dont know how much it would cost. The few good things about it is it had a 36" tilt deck, a snow blower attatchment and an areator attatchment. And this was all free. The orginal owner told me if I keep it I can stop by and pick up all the remaining parts he has( blades, filters, etc.). What do you guys think? Is it worth it to restore this machine?:cool2: :p :blob3: :D :drinkup: :drinkup:

2. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

i know base price new is about $10,000 or so

you can do the math to see if its worth pouring 1500 in it or so

3. Natural Impressions

:) The math is to get this machine fixed.:)

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Try j-thomas for parts i think they carry some aftermarket walker parts

any clue how old the machine is??

if it was feasable to get the thing running then i know personally i would do it but thats the farm boy in me talking, i would spend 5 hours fixing somthing before i asked someone for help

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My rule of thumb is 25% of the cost of a new one verses to fix. If you could get it in good shape for around 25% of replacement cost you would be way ahead of the ball game. Cant beat a free machine though. Walkers aint cheap!

6. Natural Impressions

I was looking at J-thomas but didnt see a few of the parts I need. I can get the starter rebuilt ( been told about $95.00) and with the steering fixed I am hoping I can use the snow blower attatchment this winter to help pay for the rest of the repairs. I'm not sure of the age of the machine. I did find manual on the Walker site. 93' is sticking in my head for some reason. I am someone who likes to work on vehicles but riding mowers are new to me. I'll try though. I think the fuel pump is bad too because the first start requires a little starter spray into the carb. with some play with the choke. But when it run it does sound nice.

7. Natural Impressions

QualityLawnCare4u....And I tired of the walk behinds. Too many acre lots.:cry: :dizzy:

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Sitting is much better than walking I can assure you. I have never used a walk behing or even touched one, not popular here.