Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the Walker 48 GHS 20 HP unit should retail for? Also how does it cut in tall or wet grass, as the deck does not seem to be very deep. Any problems with clogging when the grass is wet and is it really as good as they say for picking up leaves (fall clean ups). One last thing, my clients want me to bag , but I must take the clippings to the landfill. How do you dump the walker in the back of your truck. Sorry if these question seem odd but you don't know if you dont ask. Thanks

· Registered
248 Posts
Many of your questions can be answered by doing a search about Walkers. I have run Walker since 1995 and they play a major role in my business. They are not the fastest but the bag leaves and grass without problems. Wet grass takes getting used to, you have to experiment with your grass type and machine.

Retail prices will vary compared to options, engine type and deck, also your dealer will be a factor. Don't beat your dealer, remember good service will be a factor as well.

Do a search and read, then post questions they don't cover...

· Registered
189 Posts
We use 3 20 hp engines at work with no problems and plenty of power no matter what we get those mowers into. The mower set up you're lookin at is about $8,000 give or take some change. As for tall and wet grass, here in kansas we mainly have fescues and bermuda grasses and the walkers handle those fine if you don't just go blazing through them at full speed. Wet bermuda grasses are worse then fescues. Good luck with your Walkers, you'll love em!

· Registered
378 Posts
im in new jersey, i think that my 20hp walker is just about the best money i spent on equipment.
it sux for cut wet grass, it cant be done, it cloggs alot.
but when its dry...in my opinion, no other mower cuts smoother.
work great for spring clean up's with a thatcher attachment and its great for sucking up leaves in the fall.

well worth the money, just make sure u also have a walk behind to use when its wet out.

· Registered
189 Posts
As for getting the grass into your truck...at work we have trailers that have the front 8 feet enclosed with metal....we back the mowers onto the trailer and then dump the clippings straight onto the trailers. When we get back to the shop we either use the skid loader on the larger 20 foot trailer and just unload like that or on the wood bottomed 14 footers we use big scoop shovels and just shovel the grass into a big dumpster that is emptied every weekday.

If you aren't able to partially close in your trailer like that you can build or buy ramps that you drive backwards off of the front of the trailer over the back of the truck where you can dump the grass without having to use tarps...which is what i see a lot of lco's doing around here.

· Registered
397 Posts
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
im in new jersey, i think that my 20hp walker is just about the best money i spent on equipment.
it sux for cut wet grass, it cant be done, it cloggs alot.
but when its dry...in my opinion, no other mower cuts smoother.
work great for spring clean up's with a thatcher attachment and its great for sucking up leaves in the fall.

well worth the money, just make sure u also have a walk behind to use when its wet out.
Quad,

Im also in NJ and completely disagree with your statement about them not working in wet grass. I have a 25hp walker and Id still be backed up from all of may and junes rain if not for the walker. While our TORO Z and Bobcat walk behind cut and spit clumps leaving the lawns a mess, a second pass over the lawns with the walker cleaned these lawns completely leaving them just as well groomed as if it it was dry out. Although we dont cut while its actually raining, these lawns were far from dry when we cut, and with experience you will learn proper speed under wet conditions. Just by the quality of cut I can determine when one side of the deck chute is clogged, and when the hopper screen is covered in crud.

Those other lawns that were being "Mulched" during those two months of ridiculous growth still have a layer of dried grass just laying on top of the lawn getting pushed around each week.

· Registered
378 Posts
Originally posted by CMerLand
Quad,

Im also in NJ and completely disagree with your statement about them not working in wet grass. I have a 25hp walker and Id still be backed up from all of may and junes rain if not for the walker. While our TORO Z and Bobcat walk behind cut and spit clumps leaving the lawns a mess, a second pass over the lawns with the walker cleaned these lawns completely leaving them just as well groomed as if it it was dry out. Although we dont cut while its actually raining, these lawns were far from dry when we cut, and with experience you will learn proper speed under wet conditions. Just by the quality of cut I can determine when one side of the deck chute is clogged, and when the hopper screen is covered in crud.

Those other lawns that were being "Mulched" during those two months of ridiculous growth still have a layer of dried grass just laying on top of the lawn getting pushed around each week.
listen man, i have plenty of experience.i grew up around this businuess, and have been doing it for 20 years.
maybe your lawns just arent as thick and nice as mine>?????
do you find that insulting, well thats how i feel about your statment of my lack of experience, may you should ask if i had it before u made a comment like that.
you have to look at the quility of cut to see if your deck is clogged, i can here when its clogged by the sound the grass makes under the deck.
anythime u wanna come up here while its raining or....after a rain and show me your walker not clogging and a thick lawn just let me know.

sorry to sound so harsh for being a new guy here but that comment was uncalled for and insulting to me.

· Registered
397 Posts
Quad,

RELAX Tiger or your going to burn out your keyboard out pounding out replies on here if you think replies are intended to insult you or sound harsh because of how they are typed. Computers and message boards dont allow for tone of the reply to come thru and by no means was I trying to insult you.

By experience, I meant with your Walker mower and cutting with it in long wet grass, not your time in the lawn business. Ive had mine for 6 years now and have learned in that time how it works and what doesnt work under severe conditions. And it works very well for me in wet tall grass provided you keep your eyes and ears open, blades sharp and if you keep your speed down and if necessary raising the blade height.

This knowledge comes from experience as my foreman who has been with me and used this mower for over a year now would struggle in the rain, would clog the mower for trying to go to fast and never checked the back screen to see that it was clean. Although hes very good with it under normal conditions, since much of his time on the machine was under last years drought he wasnt accustomed to the long spring growth and soaking wet turf.

If you disagree with the above and my reply still hurts your feelings or you feel insulted......well TOUGH. Cowboy up and toughen up that thin skin and realize that some of us on here will make you defend your comments if we disagree with them. I realize you are new to lawnsite we welcome you here, but be ready to defend your comments to make your point.

· Registered
150 Posts
I have also used my 20HP Walker successfully with wet grass, as long as I did try to go too fast the GHS worked great and picking up the grass makes all the difference in the world. No clumps or layer of dead grass to worry about.

The first time I used the Walker on wet grass it did clog up... but then I found that the were a few minor restrictions in the GHS path that were causing the wet grass to get hung up. Once I removed the offending pieces and fixed the shute that distributes the grass in the GHS box I no longer have a problem.

I also don't cut while it is actually raining if I can avoid it. Too many slippery hills around here.

· Registered
2,736 Posts
Walkers will clog up in tall thick wet grass, if you do not

1. Slow down
2. Have sharp blades
3. Screen in hopper is not clean
4. Cut to low
5. Deck not clean to start with

Mine has the 26 EFI and I've clogged it plenty trying to hurry.

Lay off each other guy's, technically you're both right. :rolleyes:

· Registered
378 Posts
Originally posted by CMerLand
Quad,

RELAX Tiger or your going to burn out your keyboard out pounding out replies on here if you think replies are intended to insult you or sound harsh because of how they are typed. Computers and message boards dont allow for tone of the reply to come thru and by no means was I trying to insult you.

By experience, I meant with your Walker mower and cutting with it in long wet grass, not your time in the lawn business. Ive had mine for 6 years now and have learned in that time how it works and what doesnt work under severe conditions. And it works very well for me in wet tall grass provided you keep your eyes and ears open, blades sharp and if you keep your speed down and if necessary raising the blade height.

This knowledge comes from experience as my foreman who has been with me and used this mower for over a year now would struggle in the rain, would clog the mower for trying to go to fast and never checked the back screen to see that it was clean. Although hes very good with it under normal conditions, since much of his time on the machine was under last years drought he wasnt accustomed to the long spring growth and soaking wet turf.

If you disagree with the above and my reply still hurts your feelings or you feel insulted......well TOUGH. Cowboy up and toughen up that thin skin and realize that some of us on here will make you defend your comments if we disagree with them. I realize you are new to lawnsite we welcome you here, but be ready to defend your comments to make your point.
ive had my walker for 4 years now, i think i know how to run it also.
i wasnt insulted by u disagreeing with me nor wasd i not prepared to befend my comments it was your assumtion that i lacked experience.
i have no problem with some who disagree's with me.

as for you saying u need to go slow enough not to clog the machine, how slow can u go it gets to a piont were its faster to use a walk behind and a catcher.

by the way i keep my blades sharp, have walkers optional screen with the bigger holes in the grates, and cut at the recommened height for the specific time of year.

· Registered
5,658 Posts
A peein match on clog or no clog in tall grass.

Mine clogs because I go too fast, I dont have the patience or the time to constantly scrape the deck and clean the screen. I was at my wits end with the 42 GHS with a 26EFI even then I saw the light.

No more bagging until fall.

52 SD with doubles will not clog. It will chop hay if you want. Its as solid as a rock. I increased my speed on very wet unmanageable lawns. Lets face it guys, we all want to cut at the fastest speed and get done quick EVERY week. I just can't learn how to make it work because I keep thinking how far behind I am if I have to slow down to bag. Can it be done, yes. Will I do it, no way. I still have a great quality of cut by side discharging and all of my lawns are much healthier. Thats my 2 cents.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.