1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

walker solenoid

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bligh61, Jul 4, 2007.

1. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

is the solenoid seperate from the starter on the 20hp kohler. can just it be replaced without lifting engine?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Last time I was at the shop, they said that the older models were joined & newer models were separate. When I needed one replaced, I went ahead & put a newer version on it.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on what model and spec. engine you have ?

4. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

MT 20 hp 2001 ghs

5. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

MT ch20 hp 2001 ghs

6. Restrorob

Ya gotta make up your mind, MT= Magnum Twin/ CH= Command Horizontal. There is a spec. number below the engine model number also.

7. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

MT was the walker model, sorry, ch 20 for the kohler, i will look up the spec on the eng and get back to you. thanks

8. Restrorob

The solenoid is mounted on the starter, Looks like that one may be fun to replace with it down inside that frame.

I have a starter problem with my unit in my avatar, The drive is sticking. But, Have to remove the whole body then the engine out of the frame. I've been un-sticking it with a long screw driver for two years now. :dizzy:

9. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, remove blower from underside of machine . This leaves the starter mtr exposed enough for easy removal. If starter is the original nippon type a suggestion would be to replace with the Delco unit .

tomo .

10. Jay74

Jay74 LawnSite Member

Remove the motor... by far the easiest route. 20 minutes to remove & 20 to install. Piece of cake.

BTW... I hate Walker mowers.