1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Walker speed up (spring)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ksland, Sep 23, 2002.

1. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I have read all the info on this and here is my dilema. I just purchased a speed up kit for my walker. I am just finding out now that it is the wrong kit, its for an MD not an MT #7246 and #8246 is what I need. Well the correct kit #8246 has the same pulley, the #7246 has the pulley and a belt. After going through the run around trying to make the belt fit it turns out you use the stock belt with the #8246 kit. Finally figured this out. Now I have seen talk of a heavier spring than stock. It does not come with the #8246. How do I get it?:dizzy:

2. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

E-mail Walker or call them if your dealer dos'nt have it.
    They respond very Quickly.

3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

hardware store, lowes, etc................ 1"dia. X 4"long extension spring, high carbon steel.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i too have been hearing about the speed up kit. does it shorten any lifespan (extra stress) on the early hydros? about how much do these kits cost on avg?

i have a '98 20hp 42" GHS.

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

no extra stress, they sell for $20 +/-

well worth it!

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

It is definately worth it. Easy to put on. Makes it a little quicker in the flats.
    There will be a learning curve with it because the sticks will be much more responsive. (or jumpy if you pull too fast) Not an impossible task and it will make you a better operator.

7. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have speedup kits on my 16 and on my two 20 hp. They work great. Never had a minute's problem. It sure does make a difference. You have to slow down a little in high grass or clover.