Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Running Dixie's now I see. I was always told that the dixie's offer a more rough cut than say Walker or eXmark on grass in my area. This is not to say they can't stripe who was that Eric ELM lawn guy on here. He had some amazing stripes.

I know your all bagging with the walkers. What system are you running on the chopper? Mulch or a collection system?

·
Banned
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just use the DCs to open cut a few commercial properties. even with the ko cv25.... it boggs down a lot in bermuda. we can mow taller grass with our 18hp walkers than we can with the DC. we like our bobcat WB. thats a mini brush hog. the 3 dixies were cheap enough ($1k each) i wont complain too much.

·
Banned
7,474 Posts
Looks like you are cutting the grass too short to stripe with the Dixie.
bingo...

Also since you got the mowers cheap, the decks or deck might be out of whack. Did you go over the mower good before you started using it? I'd do a thorough check up on the deck including all measurements to make sure it's level, the spindles are not bent, the blades are good and most important, the pitch is set right. I wouldn't go more then a 1/4 inch on anything under a 52. Do all that and cut the grass 1 inch higher and then come back with your results. I think you'll be amazed!

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
i think my chopper is deffective. i cant get it to stripe as nice as the walkers.
Nooo, It's not defective......It's a wore out pos......Why you think you got them sooo cheap ? :waving:

·
Banned
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like you are cutting the grass too short to stripe with the Dixie.
it only goes 1 notch higher. thats supposed to be 4 inches in last pic. the grass in the DC pic is actually cut higher than the grass in all the walker pics.

and its already been to dealer and he fixed everything.... unless he was one of those dealers that dont know anything.

·
Banned
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nooo, It's not defective......It's a wore out pos......Why you think you got them sooo cheap ? :waving:
i thought you died. there was even an obituary.

lol.... good to see you again big buddy.

btw... he was a dumb lawnboy who dont know how to run a biz.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say they won't stripe. I'm sure grass, cutting height, blade (single or double), and pitch have a lot to do with it. But I've never had a problem getting mine to stripe.

Both of these pictures are with my Supreme which doesn't have any type of kit on it.

My flatlander has a homemade kid and makes better stripes but my employee's drive it so all the lines are crooked..

I run double blades on this mower so that might have something to do with it but the flatlander I run singles.

·
Banned
3,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
we got mostly bermuda. it looks a bit better on fescue, but those yards they want grass picked up and most are too steep for the dixie. i'll try changing pitch. should front be higher or lower than back. right now i got it all level.

·
Banned
7,474 Posts
The front needs to be lower by about a 1/4 inch. What you want to happen is for the leading blade to cut the grass and the trailing blade to create vacuum without touching the grass. When this happens the vacuum created tries to pull the grass as you pass over it in turn creating a striped affect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.