Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice on getting the most suction from your walker GHS deck? Any good blades out there that help? How do you know when your blower is getting weak/worn? I have an older single cylinder 16hp if it matters.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Sounds like either your belts are slipping or worn, or your engine isn't running at the recommended revs, I'd take it to a service agent and get him to go over it, these guys are trained to pin point problems and should normally have your machine all fixed and running to spec. before you could....

I have a 25 hp Walker, but I've not had this problem, but standard blades from Walker are high lift and work fine, another thing....check the fins on your blower, they do wear out as the blades work in sinc. with the blower both need to be 100%.

Walker blades are good, personally I wouldn't change them.

good luck!

Tony,
Australia

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Originally posted by bigdaddyspags
I have an older single cylinder 16hp if it matters.
It does matter, that is not a commercial mower. For every full week you use the mower is equivalent to a homeowner using it for a full season.....think about that!

MATT

·
Registered
114 Posts
bigdaddy,
I just replaced by blower, I run a 20hp 48"GHS. I asked the same question. I had noticed my fins on blower were worn. I compared to a new unit . Also I had noticed I was plugging up more and after making a mowing pass I was leaving cut blades of grass and it wasn't giving that manicured look. It would take 2 or 3 passes to get everything sucked up.
Don't know if it helps answer your question.
good luck
Bluemoon
P.S. - Shop around for costs - my first call to my dealer I was told 80.00 for regular blower and 120.00 for the hard cased blower. After I got the bill they had charged me 330.00 for the blower. I was pissed so called 3 other dealers in the area to compare prices. All 3 dealers were 220.00 for the hard case blower. I called back to dealer to ask about the difference. As of this writing we are still debating. My dealer denies he told me 120.00, and says his cost is 240.00 and says there is no way the other dealers can buy cheaper than him?? I haven't decided what to do,
I have always gotten good service and treated fairly, will decide later.
Anyways good luck.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Bluemoon....how ya doing? How many hours on the Walker after having to replace the blower?

Thanks
MATT

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
It's actually considered "Large homeowner to light commercial use"

The true commercials don't start until you have a 20hp or larger. Now they have started the low end commercials with 18hp. Go to their website or call your local dealer. If you bought this new, they should have told you this.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
The best deck for vacuuming is the 42GHS deck. The best height for vacuuming is 1.5 to 2 inches. Make sure your deck is clean and your screen in the hopper is also clean.
The 16 is a light duty mower and the horsepower is distributed between many different belts. When you need the extra pull it isn't always gonna be there. It will work for you but definately not as well as a higher hp mower.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I found with the gators, that the lift isn't as good, but they shred leaves better, which can help in the fall.
I'd investigate the belt issue, as well as cutting height. and in Portland the soil is mighty sandy, so check on how much life is left in your blower.

Good luck

·
Registered
446 Posts
Meg Mo, do you have a special adaptor to attach your blades? The way they are timed I would guess that they could ruin a deck pretty fast.
And with the swing ability, is there a concern that even if timed properly that the blades could hit?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Meg-Mo, would a 20 hp Walker be adequate hp to use your blades? If so what would it cost to outfit a 42" GHS deck?

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
They do create a very good suction on the ultracut deck. I have heard that meg-mo on the 48 ghs is awesome But you will have to see for your self. If anything this will increase you blade tip speed You might be able to mow faster and reduce your clipping's by alot.
John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.