1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Walking and Riding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Jun 19, 2000.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I am curious as to how long you walk behind your mowers per week as well as how long you ride. <br>I got my new ztr 2 weeks ago and found that I am using it more than the walkbehind.Thats the reason I got a new one but I can really see my productivity increase. For some reason this Walker is faster than the old one. We have had plenty of rain so there is still heavy growth.<p>Of my 24 weeklys I am out a total of about 18 hours. <br>I ride for 16 of my 24 accounts which adds up to about 10 hours.<br>Walk behind Toro for 4 hours and thr rest is trimming and blowing. Of course these are averages. Just wondering what your experience is.

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't figured out the time spent walking....but one time I tried to figure how many miles I was walking on an 8,000 ft.2 property that i was cutting. Those figures can become mindboggling. Good luck with the rider.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing I walk behind is my Shindaiwa. I have a sulky for my Gravely 50&quot; and a single wheel Velke for my new Exmark 36&quot; Metro. For 5 years previous to the Exmark I used a Woods CM36 hydro that I walked behind. The productivity increase with the Exmark/Velke combo is unbelievable! Wether you get a single wheeled or dual wheeled sulky/Velke/Rocketwheels/Proslide you will see a marked reduction in fatigue and an increase in productivity. Like they say, &quot;Why walk when you can ride&quot;.

4. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

With my Steiner & new ZTR, I take mostly bigger accts., but still have some smaller ones I can't fit the Z on, so I use my 48&quot; Honda WB. I took the sulky off cuz I need exercize- too much sitting in the truck, then sit on the Z, then a little walking with the weedwacker, etc.<br>I use the Z on about 75-80% of my accts. I walk the rest with the WB.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

5. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Rider on about 90% of accounts.<br>Walk behinds only used on real hilly areas and when the 60&quot; will not fit.

6. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Six hours a day walking.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I used my old 48&quot; bobcat wb for the first time in three years, last Friday.I realy forgot how hard it was to opperate.I'm part time,13 mowing accts,26 hours per week,run a Walker 48&quot; GHS unit and do very little trimming. I don't know how I made it so many years walking.

8. Scape Sculptor

Scape Sculptor LawnSite Member

8 to 10 hours per day walking. I only have a walkbehind, dream of the day I can afford a ztr...

9. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

walk 50% of the time use velkie other 50%

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

i just bought a set of jungle wheels off somoene on this forum. though i like them alot... they take a toll on you body.... there not the smoothest riding! there much better than walking but i definitly like using my z master better.... that god i dont hace to many gated lawns where i have to use my 36 walker behijnd!