Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NNJLandman, The walk was replaced with concrete because the customer requested it . The original walk was concrete and I am sure that they wanted to keep that look. This is a vacation home on a lake that they purchased this year. I am working on Phase Two now and will post more photos soon. And let me tell you now, these people have their own minds and are VERY determined about what they want and how they want it done!!
So be prepared.....as I have.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Steve in PA It is probably hard to tell in the first photo, since it was taken with my Instamatic, that the wall was in two sections.
The first (farthest away) was Railroad Ties and the other was Stone. So to answer your question, there was no base for the Railroad Ties just stacked and pinned.
On all my walls I use five inches of road base compacted with a plate tamper every two inches and then one inch of sand on top of that. Thanks to all for the questions and comments, I'll post more photos of Phase Two soon.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Earthtool,

why do you use forms around your base material? Do you remove the forms after compaction/before grading? I've always seen the base material compacted into trenches dug into the soil. Is this your standard practice?

jim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.