1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

wall re-build

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by skidster32, May 15, 2007.

1. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

i got a call from a guy today who wanted me to come take a look at a wall he had built around a window well when his house was built...well when i got their the wall had sunk about 2ft from where it was originally intended. then come to find out who ever built the wall they built it while the over dig from the foundation was still settling, so give or take a few months after excavation. they didnt use any kind barrier behind the wall or any drainage. the wall is only about 4'ft tall so i dont think pipe is necissary but 3/8 behind the wall would be nice, by the way thats what they used for the base. i dont know about rebuliding this because they already have everything cut and putting it back would be a b*^%$. if i was called to do a job like this i would have told the guy to hold off until the ground settled, started with a nice base of #6 crused lime compacted then and geogrid behind the wall and 3/8 or crushed lime compacted for drainage. but i dont think its worth re building because it would be more hassle than its worth. it would be like putting a puzzl together. what do you guys think of this?

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So what are you asking? Rebuild or no?

Tear it out, build new. Compact soil prior. Got pics?

3. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

i was asking if you guys would take the job or not, he dosnt want to spend the money on a tear out and complete new wall he wants to use what hes got, im thinking im gonna steer clear of this one unless i can convince him to start from scratch.

4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

You have no choice but to excavate. Heck throw a couple courses on top of the wall to make up for a the 2' its settled haha.

5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Some times in business you have to make descisions weather to take on a job or not. Your call, your the boss.
    Mike