Want to add electric starter to Kawasaki

Ditta&Sons

LawnSite Bronze Member
How hard is this to do? Manually starting this machine has become a chore, the pull cord has almost ripped my arm off on several occasions.
There is a spot for it on the engine block. The key switch is all there with the wiring running down the handlebars.
I've got a Ferris 36" with Kawasaki fc401 13hp. It's almost 20 years old but there is no budget to replace the machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

southerntide

LawnSite Fanatic
OP
Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons

LawnSite Bronze Member
I had a look on ebay and saw the starter, do I also need the starter motor drive or is that already in the starter?
If this is an easy bolt on and wire hookup, I should be fine, if its an in-depth teardown Ill have some research to do.

Thanks for answering

southerntide

LawnSite Fanatic
Most likely if not equipped I would refer to you owner/service manual and see what it says about the starter first maybe it will show some information

OP
Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons

LawnSite Bronze Member
Have you seen one of these service manuals? its mindboggling. I bought the machine used so i didnt get one but Ive looked online at the schematics and it was so hard to follow.

I was hoping this would be easy

larryinalabama

LawnSite Fanatic
There used to be some kits avaible, you will need a flywheel and a relay and a wire harness, and a battery and a generator. Its actually a lot more than bolting a starter on

Jeff in AL

LawnSite Senior Member
How hard is this to do? Manually starting this machine has become a chore, the pull cord has almost ripped my arm off on several occasions.
There is a spot for it on the engine block. The key switch is all there with the wiring running down the handlebars.
I've got a Ferris 36" with Kawasaki fc401 13hp. It's almost 20 years old but there is no budget to replace the machine.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just because the mounting holes are in the block does not mean you can add a starter and go...

Is there a ring gear on the flywheel (teeth) for the starter gear to engage into? If not, you will need to replace the flywheel as well.

Then there is a stator to be added under the flywheel to charge the battery unless you plan on charging the battery each day.

Then you will need to wire it up and add a battery somewhere.

There is only 2 FC401V specs that show electric start, they are S00 and S02 specs. You didn't mention your spec.

Usually it can be done, it's just not economical to do.

Oldtimer

LawnSite Bronze Member
Sounds like an engine tuneup is in order. Check the flywheel key. Check the valve clearance.

Get a snowblower pull handle. It's bigger & you can get a much better grip.

Oldtimer

OP
Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons

LawnSite Bronze Member
the model i have has a key switch on the handlebar, theres a key in it, theres wiring running down the handlebar and a white wire connecting to the engine beside the muffler. Id have to take the top off the engine to get any more pics. Is this helpful?
I agree, it does need an internal checkup, but I really cant afford the downtime. The pull cord sometimes snaps back with a vengeance or stops abruptly as Im pulling on it. Sometimes she turns over quite easily, other times I have to take the top off and fiddle with the spring loaded fins that flare out to spin the motor to start, other times i have to take the sparkplug out and dry it off because theres fuel on it lol shes a real ***** sometimes but I cant complain too much because shes been able to get me larger jobs and do more work throughout the day. I got it for $600
Ok, dont laugh at her, shes old and ugly in some areas but the front part was painted and new decals were added, she looks great while shes working. 20 years old approximately.

I dont know how to check valve clearance, but I will get the snowblower handle, the other one snapped off when the cord ripped out of my hand and i had to take the top part apart and rewind the spring (im getting good at rewinding the spring and reattaching the rope) lol Ive tied a couple of big knots on the end of the cord for now.....

The third pic is where I assume the starter goes

Sorry those pics are on their side

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3(2).JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Last edited:

Top Forums