1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Want to be legal...Need advice!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by biggin69, Feb 24, 2007.

  1. biggin69

    biggin69 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 142

    This will be my second year. What I am looking for is another Legal Company in my area (Hamilton, Ohio) that could maybe help me with the steps to get my lisence, insurance, ect.. I willl be the only person working for me if that helps. Is it better to go Sole Pro. or Inc. Maybe LLC? AHHHH!:confused: My brain hurts.

    Thanks in advance for any info guys!
  2. GreenN'Clean

    GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,512

    Find a good Lawyer and they will lead you in the right direction to be an LLC,Sole Pro or Inc.
  3. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    pm me, i have all the info you need.....here is a good place to start..]


    this has the rest of the answers,

    get dba... register name of busniness with state... check local towns for required license... dont apply any weed and feed or any other chemicals with out a license, get from the state dept of agriculture...get vendors license to collect sales tax, (yes the service is taxable in ohio you have to collect it and send it in)...get commercial plates for trailor and vehicle....liability insurance (contact your homeowners insurance)..open business checking account under the dba name....save at least 20% of gross for taxes and advertising next year....only buy commercial equipment....and your pretty much ready to go...:)
  4. puppetguy

    puppetguy LawnSite Member
    from indy
    Messages: 4

    What about license? Do we really have to have one? I live in Indianapolis In.
    What is LLC anyway? I don't mean to be stupid, its just that I am just starting up this season.
    Thanks, Grassman
  5. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    to apply chemicals.. yes, other stuff check with your own state web site.... and dont forget insurance and to pay taxes on your income...:)
  6. Smitty58

    Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 531

    Biggin - I'm right next door in Trenton (Ohio). I'd be glad to help you. Send me a pm and I'll help you out.
  7. nick-bigfootlawn

    nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 106

    Im also in Ohio and needing help with these issues. Do we collect a sales tax on the services we provide, or is it a different tax than the sales tax?
  8. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    everthing you need to know is on those two links...yes sales tax is collected on work performed at the rate of taxation in the county where the work was performed.. you need to get a state vendors license
  9. nick-bigfootlawn

    nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 106

    Do you have to get commercial insurance for a commercial truck or would regular insurance be the norm?
  10. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    you need commercial plates on vehicle, on the trailor, and your auto insurance coverage will change also...

Share This Page