1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Want to learn landscaping

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Jordanfan20, May 13, 2010.

1. Jordanfan20

Jordanfan20 LawnSite Member

So I'm 17 years old, almost 18 and I've had a registered Lawn mowing business for 3 years. I've built up a strong customer base, trying to fill up my time space while I'm not in school. This year I began doing some landscaping work, including, mulching, weeding, pulling out small trees and stuff and have been making pretty amazing money whenever I do these jobs.

So basically I want to get into landscaping. My business is doing well right now since I'm doing good work for all of my customers, the thing is I don't know much about landscaping. I really want to learn, are there any good books or materials I can learn from so that I can start doing some landscaping jobs?

Thanks guys!

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

The only answer to your question is this-

Keep what work you have with mowing and go work for a dedicated landscape install company. I know there are good ones in Cinci... it is the best classroom possible. No book can compete.

3. Escapes Landscape Design

Escapes Landscape Design LawnSite Member

You might want to consider some classes at a local community college...or some extended education classes. Also, find a mentor. What you are doing is alot cheaper than my 5 years in college to become a landscape architect. Good luck to you.