Want to start lawn care business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Adam Makely, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Adam Makely

Adam Makely LawnSite Member

hey guys,

I live in upstate ny. I want to start my own lawn care business, but I’m afraid my job doesn’t allow me to do it part time. I wanted to get your opinions.

I work as a pharmacist and my schedule is as follows

Every Monday and Wednesday I work 8a to 9p
    And I work every other Friday Saturday and Sunday 8a to 9p

That leaves me Tuesday, Thursday, and every other 3 day weekend to work on my business.

I’m worried that I’ll get rained out on Tuesday and Thursday and not be able to get to yards for 2 weeks at a time.

What do you guys think? Thank you!

2. ShowCaseLawnCare

ShowCaseLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

why would you bother doing lawn care if your a pharmacist?

3. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Gold Member

Not a lot of pro positive lawn business guys around here, most are burned out. I was burned out when I did it FT back in the 90's so I understand. But I'm back doing it part time and enjoy the low stress atmosphere. But yes if you get rained out and backed up your reputation is shot. Game over. Maybe you could befriend another company that can cover you in a pinch...

MNLawns likes this.
  4. Adam Makely

I am starting to dislike corporate America and want to run my own business. Money isn’t super important to me, I know I’ll be making less

5. Greencuts518

Where abouts upstate N.Y. I'm Albany area

6. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Florida

My thoughts exactly. Solid career that you can do the rest of your life, respected, indoors, good money, and benefits vs. career that rides like a roller coaster with it’s up and downs and constant injuries, outdoors, no respect because the job you do can be done by an 8 year old (trust me, I was replaced by a customer’s 8 year old two weeks ago), ok money once you’re up and running a few years, and no benefits.

OP, if you've got an entrepreneurial spirit, DO NOT toss all that education for a lawn care “career”. What about opening an independent pharmacy or a compounding pharmacy? We have a few around here and the people that use them rave about them.

Mark Stark likes this.
  7. Adam Makely

I live in Greenville, about 30 minutes out of Albany.

8. Adam Makely

That’s the thing, though. I want to work outside. I get that it is a grind. My wife provides benefits through her employer, they are way better than what my company offers.

9. Greencuts518

I'm from Bethlehem and had relatives out in Berne. I know Greenville very well.

10. Adam Makely

Also - the pharmacy business is hurting. It would be far more likely to succeed in lawn care than opening my own pharmacy now