1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Want to start liquid fertilizers

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by flxinxj, Nov 1, 2007.

  1. flxinxj

    flxinxj LawnSite Member
    Messages: 34

    I would like to offer fertilizer programs; I know in our area you have to be certified to spray any kind of a chemical on someone lawn. How should I go about this and find the right chemical to use. I have used Scott’s dry chemicals before and they work well but I think spraying might be better. Am I right or are they similar
  2. terryenterprises

    terryenterprises LawnSite Member
    Messages: 21

    There truly is not a major difference if watered in properly. I would contact your nearest extension office and ask for study material. When it comes to liquid, your chances of burning a yard increases. IDK about the east coast too much, im in the midwest, so thats honestly the best i can do.
  3. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,559

    In most states fertilizer can be applied without a license. Dry fertilizer is probably better than liquid as it is less likely to cause a burn, and slow release will last longer.

    You need a license to apply any kind of weed killler, crabgrass preventer or insecticide--liquid or dry. Crabgrass preventer works fine as a granular product. Liquid broadlef weed killer is usually superior to granular weed killer.

    I hope this works out for you. Good luck!
  4. flxinxj

    flxinxj LawnSite Member
    Messages: 34

    thanks guys. that helps alot.
  5. Marcos

    Marcos LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,720

    I wanted to add a couple notes just to clarify....
    Liquid fertilizer in slow release form IS available to be purchased by lawn care professionals! But the 'little guys', sometimes, lack the resourses to be able to work with them, as they probably don't have adequate fill stations, and any real emergency set-up for larger-scale liquid containment.
    You can purchase what are called 'Mini Bulks' (275 gallons (?)) from companies like Morral, and they'll charge you a deposit for having the container on your site, but you get it back eventually. (Google 'Morral' if you want to explore further)
    Using slow release liquid fert is GREAT for the bottom line! It often saves a trip over the yard. Unfortunately, though, there's so many other idiots out there doing 'TRU'-LY irresponsible things for the environment and turf, like dissolving urea and spraying it to save $$$, that it over time gives 'liquid' a bad RAP!
  6. lescojdl

    lescojdl LawnSite Member
    Messages: 40

    For certain situations, 46-0-0 is probably fine, like right now when you are not worried about excessive top growth. But during the year, it is much healthier to use slow release forms of nitrogen. Coron, GreenFlo, and other slow release liquid or soluble fertilizers are available on the market. If you are a smaller operation and do not have a large spray rig with adequate agitation, you will have to stick with products that are sold in a liquid form, such as GreenFlo, and you will have to stress to your customers the importance of irrigating afterward to avoid burn unless you can use a high volume sprayer. Good luck.

Share This Page