want vs need hand tools

DiSantolandscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
what would you want vs have to have when starting out.

spade need
hard rake need
leaf rakes need
pruning shears? need or want
scotts spreader? need or want
pick axe? need or want

im trying to figure out what i have and what i need to get if i want to go full time this spring. thanks for the help with any thing you guys can list. I know we need spade, rakes, etc. but what else.

Patriot Services

LawnSite Fanatic
what would you want vs have to have when starting out.

spade need
hard rake need
leaf rakes need
pruning shears? need or want
scotts spreader? need or want
pick axe? need or want

im trying to figure out what i have and what i need to get if i want to go full time this spring. thanks for the help with any thing you guys can list. I know we need spade, rakes, etc. but what else.
Quality shovels and rakes are a must. You get what you pay for
Landscape rake - nice to have
Spreader - better than a scotts, inflated tires, min 80# hopper
Pick axe - have one, use my Adz more.
Wheelbarrow - dual wheels, good construction.
Anything by Felco or Silky:usflag:

Quality shovels and rakes are a must. You get what you pay for
Landscape rake - nice to have
Spreader - better than a scotts, inflated tires, min 80# hopper
Pick axe - have one, use my Adz more.
Wheelbarrow - dual wheels, good construction.
Anything by Felco or Silky:usflag:
Yes, silky and felco are top of the line. I will also add Corona's professional line is just as good and in some situations better IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc

LawnSite Senior Member
It really depends on what you offer as a business. If you trim hedges then you definitely need a hedge trimmer. If you put down seed and fertilizer then you need a spreader.

If your more into mowing then you really don't need any of that but its always good to have just in case you get that client who needs their hedges trimmed.

Patriot Services

LawnSite Fanatic
It really depends on what you offer as a business. If you trim hedges then you definitely need a hedge trimmer. If you put down seed and fertilizer then you need a spreader.

If your more into mowing then you really don't need any of that but its always good to have just in case you get that client who needs their hedges trimmed.
On this note. More services with fewer customers usually means more $$$. Upsell, upsell, upsell!:usflag:

I always only bought a hand tool after I knew I needed it. Lots of times I'll tell a customer I can do a small job when they ask and THEN pick up a set of hedgers, etc. Eventually, you get the tools you need as clients ask for work to be performed for them but I wouldn't necessarily stock up an entire shop right away. It's not like you're flashing a photo of all your tools to your customer. They have no clue and don't care. Only buy what you need, when you need it and remember, you can usually rent it also.

Patriot Services

LawnSite Fanatic
If your going to call yourself and your company "landscape" you need to have these tools and know how to use them long before a customer asks. Would you hire a carpenter that says "I'll be right back , gotta go buy a hammer". I just have a strong opinion about mow only guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

I always only bought a hand tool after I knew I needed it. Lots of times I'll tell a customer I can do a small job when they ask and THEN pick up a set of hedgers, etc. Eventually, you get the tools you need as clients ask for work to be performed for them but I wouldn't necessarily stock up an entire shop right away. It's not like you're flashing a photo of all your tools to your customer. They have no clue and don't care. Only buy what you need, when you need it and remember, you can usually rent it also.
We are talking about hand tools, not verticutters or snow plows. You can invest $300 and have a great set of pruners, loppers, hand saw, pole saw. Then, when you get more of the work and need a bigger hand saw or a longer pole saw, then buy it.
Posted via Mobile Device

scottslawncareav

LawnSite Member
while we are on the subject why cant i find razor back shovels anymore i am tired of this rigid arens husky crap. I want my union usa made razor back and dont care if i have to spend $45 on it. They had lifetime warranty and i have used a spade till it was a flat. rigid says life time warranty but good luck finding a dealer that offers it. :confused: