Wanting to start in 2022.

BLJ

LawnSite Member
Just joined. Really like the site and have a lot of questions.
I’d like to start doing some work for myself in 2022. As of now for equipment I have truck, trailer, Kubota 1856, stihl fs130 and 56, stihl bg56 blower, stihl ms 170 and husqvarna 359. All of it is paid for and in good shape. Also considering a kioti ck3510 with loader and backhoe.
I would like to get into mowing to begin with and leading to possibly small landscaping and stonework jobs eventually. I’m also wanting to get licensed to spray as soon as I can as well.
To start, what kind of license am I looking for? Where would be a good place for insurance specific to the industry? What, if any, equipment should I look at adding?
I’m open to any and all information.
Great site. Thanks.

OP
B

BLJ

LawnSite Member
None in a for hire setting. No experience on the business side of things either. I’ve always done my own yard work and enjoyed. I know when it turns into business it may not be as enjoyable, but I’m going to risk it.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
I would advise you to get some experience working with a pro first. Learn the trade, find out which services you can perform professionally and what to charge. Also be aware that in addition to being a great worker, you have to learn how to run a business.

OP
B

BLJ

LawnSite Member
Definitely agree on the business side of things. Definitely open to all advise there. That’s a big part of my research. Not many professionals in my area that I’m aware of. A lot of grass cutters though.

phasthound

LawnSite Fanatic
In that case, don't mow lawns. Instead concentrate on other services that you can provide and is needed.

OP
B

BLJ

LawnSite Member
What I was meaning is that maybe there is a possibility for a more professionally presented lawn care service. Using mowing as a gateway to other possibilities as I gain a more useful skill set.

Caledwen

LawnSite Senior Member
My .02. First you sound well equipped, why wait?

Secondly. I would stick to what you know how to do and can do very well. You wont be around long if you get into doing stone work etc and have no clue how to do it right and it look like a "million bucks" That's not to say you can't add a service you want to do down the road. Just perfect what you do well and then you can dabble/learn other tasks.

OP
B

BLJ

LawnSite Member
I’m not diving into anything that I can’t do a quality job of. If I can’t do it right, I’ll pass. It’s my face the customer is going to see when they look at there lawn or a feature that I installed. I’m not tossing something in for a buck.
@phasthound. Appreciate the help.

Top Forums