Wanting to start in 2022.

OP
B

BLJ

LawnSite Member
I’ve been looking into replacement cost for equipment and lifespan in a daily use environment. Once I get that figured, I’ll look into what the market will bear for the services I can provide right now and see what I need to do as far as services provided. My “feeling” (I know) is that I can make a go of it and do alright. I’m not looking to be a rich. Just make an enjoyable living.
On the subject of equipment, anything I may need to add or upgrade? Thanks again.

Toro44

LawnSite Senior Member
Depending on the lawn, you may need a mower to get in gates. Either buy one when you get a job that requires a smaller mower or hard pass of anything your rig won’t fit in. I find a chute blocker of some sort a must in residential lawn care. We use grass flaps but there’s options out there. Saves a lot of cleanup time. Edger would be a must for us. Otherwise, go get some and figure out the next thing to make you more efficient.

OP
B

BLJ

LawnSite Member
Hardly any gates in my area. Fortunately enough. If there are gates, there large enough to get a truck through.
What are you referring to as a chute blocker or grass flap? Just the plastic piece on the discharge side of the deck?

Toro44

LawnSite Senior Member
A lot of places I mow have significant landscaping. It’s a manually operated flap that covers the chute so grass doesn’t blow in an area. If you’ve got wide open areas though, won’t help a whole lot.

Brucey

LawnSite Bronze Member
IMG_20210707_171706806_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210707_171722026_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210707_171706806_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210707_171706806_HDR.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 13
OP
B

BLJ

LawnSite Member
Thanks, Brucey. Maybe a dumb question but, would you have to use a mulching blade with that set up to avoid a clogged up mess at the discharge point?

Brucey

LawnSite Bronze Member
So its only designed for short durations when going past a mulched bed etc. If you leave it closed its going to start windrowing on the right side of the deck because of the clippings build up. There is a third, half open position available where it deflects the clippings down so they don't get thrown three decks away, but without windowing. I only use high lift blades so mulching is not an option but could be for you come fall season for leaves.

OP
B

BLJ

LawnSite Member
That makes sense. I was thinking backwards. That would be advantageous for me in a lot of situations. Seems as though everyone has flowerbeds or an accent of some kind around there house.

Top Forums