Warm-Season Centipede Issues.. hmm. (Pics)

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by charp07, Mar 24, 2019.

1. charp07

charp07 LawnSite Member

As the title suggest.. I am having some yard issues. I used to own a lawn service company a couple years ago and enjoy keeping my lawn in good shape. My lawn is centipede that was laid in June of 2015. My first couple years I had a great yard with no complaints. I have kept up with weeds regularly and fertilizer 2 times per year, but it seems as if the lawn is still struggling more and more each year after green-up during the spring and following throughout the entire summer. I do live in Louisiana so the heat and humidity does get intense at times during the year.

Last year I actually went and bought a pallet of sod and filled in the dead spots (pics below). I believe it to be a fungus but am not sure. I do suspect Brown Patch and Large Patch to be the issues.

I decided to put down Scott's DiseaseEx as a remedy on 3/13/19. I am hoping that this may get the yard going in the right direction. But I had the same issue last year, although I didn't notice the circular spots as I do now. So I am wondering, is this something with fungus/decline/pest or something else? Should I get the soil sampled? If so, how do I go about taking samples and from where would I do this? (**as a note, I do have dogs that use the bathroom in the backyard. A shepherd and a small terrier**)

04-2018 (After Green-up) DJI_0003.JPG

05-2018 (2 weeks after fertilizer)
    DJI_0001.JPG
    09-2018 (end of season, after resodding dead spots in June)
    DJI_0003.JPG
    03-2019 (Currently, back to the same situation from last year)
    DJI_0001.JPG

2. OP
    OP
    charp07

charp07 LawnSite Member

My yard is the one with the white truck in the driveway.

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

what are you putting on the lawn?

charp07 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    charp07

charp07 LawnSite Member

As of this year, I haven't put down any fertilizer. I have only applied Scott's DiseaseEx at the curative rate.

In prior years, I have used Scott's Bonus S Weed and Feed and also have used Fertilome Weed and Feed once last year.

This is what I have logged from 2018 and 2019 so far...

---2018---

Tenacity (blanket app)

8/15/18
    3.4 floz/acre
    @5pm 30mins before rain

(2) Fertilome Centipede Weed and Feed
    20lb bags
    8/22/18
    @4am
    Watered in completely 2 days later
    Injured bushes and flowers

Tenacity (back yard and spot spray front)
    10/5/18 @12:30p
    4.0 floz/acre

(2) Scott's Halts Crabgrass and Weed Preventer 5lb
    2/3/19 @6:00p
    2.5 on spreader (suspected clogged discharge gate)

---2019---

Propiconazole (Partial Application Backyard)
    3/12/19 @3:00p
    Bayer Ready to Spray Bottle

(3) Scott's DiseaseEX (Brown Patch/Large Patch)
    3/13/19 @5:00p
    3 3/4 on Spreader

(1) Scott's Halts Crabgrass and Weed Preventer 5lb
    3/3/19 @6:00p
    2.5 on spreader setting

(2) Trizicide Pesticide 10lb
    3/24/19 @4:30p
    2lb/1000sqft

5. theltz81

theltz81 LawnSite Member

It looks to be a fungus issue but im not 100% sure on that. I have used Fertilome F-Stop in the past with good results when I had a fungus /disease issue. I would stop using scott’s fertilizer as it has too much n2 content for centipede and also urea which can cause centipede decline in future. I use a product called hi yield iron plus soil acidifier around end of april or early may then another product called lawn restore 2 which is organic around July (Milorganite is another option). I also put down sulfur in spring but thats because of high soil ph issues. As for a soil test, you can pick up a kit at a local feed store or nursery usually. It’s free but you have to pay for the actual soil test when you send it to LSU ag center. Just follow the directions that come with the kit and mail it off with a check. The more samples you collect the higher the price. A total of three samples is like $26 I think.

hort101, weeze and charp07 like this.
  6. theltz81

theltz81 LawnSite Member

Whats your drainage look like? Do any spots stay wet for long periods of time? I also noticed that you are putting a lot of herbicides down within a short amount of time which may be stressing the centipede.

hort101 and charp07 like this.
  7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i would stop putting anything on it for a year or two and see what happens. centipede usually takes care of itself pretty well. organic fertilizer like ringer lawn restore or milorganite would be ok to use.

you don't really need to treat centipede for weeds. it will keep them out all on it's own.

those round circles look like fungus or something though. maybe it stays too wet back there? you may be better off to plant some carpet grass. it does good in wet areas.

charp07, hort101 and theltz81 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    charp07

charp07 LawnSite Member

Damn. Yeah, some of the areas don't drain well but for the most part the yard drains good. I think fixing the drainage problem would be easier than redoing the entire yard with carpet grass though huh? I will look into sampling the soil and bring to LSUag. I'm not sure how to but maybe they will tell me exactly how to do so.

As far as weeds.. the yard has been so thin over the last couple years it has been struggling against nutsedge and Crabgrass and many other invasive weeds. Including the dreaded TORPEDO GRASS (I hate that crap, but sethoxdim does well against it).

So I will report back with an update after I get some results from a soil sample. Won't put anything else down until I get that to you guys.

hort101 likes this.
  9. theltz81

theltz81 LawnSite Member

Like weeze said. Healthy centipede will choke out weeds so if your weed problem is that bad then maybe something is going on with your soil preventing your centipede from growing to it’s fullest potential. Yea, i’d fix drainage issue first before changing grass type completly. You dont have to bring the soil samples yourself. Lol. The kit comes in a usps box with everything you need to MAIL the samples to LSU. Just ask for a “soil test kit” at your local nursery or feed store. Comes with the usps box, a form to fill out, 3 plastic sample bags and instructions on best way to catch the samples. They will send you the results via email after about a week or two and paper results to your mailbox shortly after that. The main thing im looking for in a soil test is my ph which should be idealy 5.5 - 6.0 for centipede. Mine was 7.8 several years ago and I have been working on lowering it since by applying elemental sulpher granules every spring. I have it down to 6.5 as of this years soil test. Very long and slow process but it works.

weeze, hort101 and charp07 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    charp07

charp07 LawnSite Member

Have you noticed better results by doing so? @theltz81